Chapter 17:

Kayleb followed Luke uneasily out of the large pack house the younger boy once called something of a home. He could feel angry gazes burning holes into his body, and even some not-so-discreet ones, looking him up and down in a way that made him uncomfortable. It made him feel like a piece of meat in a market.

Luke was in his own world, trying not to show his distress.

But the lycan behind him could feel his desperation. It must have been painful for him to live like this all the time. Though Kayleb felt Luke had no idea this shouldn't have happened to him, he genuinely accepted that he was an Omega, not only that but a breeding Omega. Who deserved everything that had happened to him. He seemed content with his life, but then he came around the corner and told him that nothing was wrong and that he had to be released. Which meant his whole life could be a lie.

Unbeknownst to Kayleb, Luke had heard a few things before he could stray too far from his Alpha's office. He felt used and utterly humiliated. But with the revelation of these things and the help of the taller boy behind him, he was reasonably assured that one day he would get over it, or at least he hoped he would.

The Omega was the first of the two to leave the house. Subconsciously, he swallowed when he saw his Alpha with a dark, murderous expression clouding his face. On the other hand, there was his Luna, the soul and heart of the pack, looking relieved. Almost as if something heavy had finally left her heart.

As Luna, she knew more than anyone else in the pack, sometimes even more than the Alpha. Luke could only wonder why she was smiling at him like that, what she had never done before.

Before he could say anything, however, Kayleb walked proudly through the door. He gently nudged Luke's back with his suitcase to signal him to move, but Luke didn't understand. He tilted his head, and stared at him in confusion. It took him a moment to realize he was in the way.

"Sorry," he softly murmured under his breath. But by that time, Kayleb had already set down the suitcase and ensured the backpack was securely on his back.

In a flash - for Luke at least - the lycan grabbed him under his shoulders and set him a few centimeters from where he had stood. So Kayleb could leave the house.

A big red blush formed on Luke's cheeks. He could only look away, embarrassed. No one before has ever treated him with care. It made him uncomfortable. Kayleb seemingly felt just as awkward with the situation as he, but the taller boy recovered much faster than he ever could.

A split second later, Kayleb stood tall and proud before the equally tall North Pack Alpha, captivating and terrifying his entire pack around him. Kayleb stood like a living symbol of authority. Meanwhile, the older Alpha tried to look as strong as the younger one.

But everyone could see and feel that the boy before their Alpha was much stronger than any ordinary wolf or Alpha. Alone, the aura radiating from him was so overwhelming that any thought of doing anything against him was stifled. Many North Pack wolves wondered where it came from as they had not felt anything coming from him before.

Both Alphas stared at each other in a silent struggle for dominance. Until the lycan interrupted their little duel – which to him was just another mockery of the older Alpha anyway – to glance at Luke with a smug smile. With a single head movement, he invited him to come to his side. And as Luke was taught, he did it without asking a question.

Almost next to the taller boy, Luke suddenly saw that he no longer had his things with him. He looked up at him, concerned and terrified that Kayleb might have changed his mind. If he did, he couldn't even be mad about it. After all, he is just an Omega.

Kayleb pointed to his car with a cheeky grin. "You've been staring at the floor for about five minutes, little bean. I had more than enough time to put everything away," he told him after the pointing didn't lessen the other boy's worried expression.