Chapter 67:

Kayleb knew that the people around him were getting nervous, just like he was. Even though it wasn't visible, you could feel it from the accidental pressure he applied every now and then. He has never been so incomprehensible. But there was only one day left until the autumn ball. It wasn't his first, as he had visited the others with his first Beta back when he hadn't yet been banished from his home. But it would be the first time attending such an event with his soulmate. Something like that is always special. He hated that he let others feel his nervousness, though.

Not even Luke's closeness could calm him down. The whole trip to school was bad enough. But since they arrived at school, it skyrocketed. He looked around as if he were on crystallized wolfsbane, his eyes darting back and forth, searching for his soulmate.

Instead of Dal, he found Chad. His face lit up when he saw him because it was better than showing Dal how much of an effect he had on him. But as he got closer, he saw a grim shadow on his sharp, handsome features.

Before Kayleb could say anything, Chad grabbed him by the shoulder and dragged him to a slightly less crowded place.

"Dal had dinner with his father yesterday. I couldn't do anything since it was an Alpha command. He was strange after that, but now he can barely walk. We just got him out of the car and seated him in the student lounge."

"Did you give him what I handed to you?"

"Yes, he ate the candy before he went to dinner even if he didn't want to, and yes, I'm sure of that because I heard it cracking in his mouth."

"Shit," Kayleb muttered, even more nervous than before, running his hand through his hair. "For the candy to work, it has to dissolve slowly. It still neutralized whatever his father wanted to do to him but certainly had other effects on him."

He was still deep in thought when he turned around and wandered back to his friends, who witnessed his slowly increasing maddening state.

He walked right past them without a word, only to suddenly stop a few meters later.

"Luke, please keep a close eye on Dal. You're fast, and if you want, you can be as silent as the dead," Kayleb told him, but then turned around and caught his eyes piercing into his soul. "But whatever happens, don't intervene!"

"Yes, Alpha!" he said with a shaking voice as he swallowed a big lump.

As Kayleb had thought, Luke had overheard his conversation again. Otherwise, he wouldn't have known where to go. But that was a problem for another time.

He had turned around again, this time his other friends, including Chad, following him as he muttered incoherent words, trying to figure out what Dal's father had planned this time.

In the distance, he could suddenly hear many people whispering, some almost fangirlish screams, and then the melodies of a guitar.

At first, he didn't think much about it. To him, it seemed like a regular penultimate day before a relatively long holiday, so it didn't feel like anything unusual.

But then he heard this voice. He once found this voice so calming, but now? All he could do was freeze in his tracks. Why? Why was he suddenly there? They would have met again as soon as he returned home when he had finished there in Caldor and redeemed himself in the eyes of society, hopefully before his eighteenth birthday.

He could hear his voice but did not perceive the words he was singing. Even though he hated hearing it, his voice was still one of the most beautiful he had ever heard: smooth as velvet, but can also be rough and deep in places.

It took a few moments before he could even move slightly. When he turned around, he saw him at the end of the hallway. He was a little taller than him, as he always had been since they were in diapers. His dark chocolate brown curly hair never goes unnoticed, and the heated gaze of his warm dark brown eyes always seems to match perfectly to his hair. He smiled so warmly, almost excitedly.