Chapter 43:

An entire class of pissed-off students pushed through the crowded hallways of Caldor North High School. Only one of them did so with a bright smile.

Those who saw it became even angrier, every single one of them: friends, enemies, and everything in between.

"What's wrong with them?" Luke's gentle voice suddenly broke through Kayleb's happy daze.

His head snapped in the smaller boy's direction. The grin on his face grew even wider.

„Luke, my man!" He laughed out loud, putting his left arm around his shoulders, and quickly pulled him away from the angry crowd.

Carefully, he ensured that the smaller boy was never in any danger. An angry mob doesn't care about the damage they do to things or how many people they hurt.

Although it took some maneuvering, they eluded the others after about two sharp turns and hid behind an archway.

Luke was out of breath, but the hand over his mouth made it impossible for him to take a deep breath.

Kayleb's eyes were focused on the piece of wall that hid them, hoping no one would come there. After a minute, he removed his hand from Luke's mouth.

"They are really mad," he sang playfully, just before taking Luke's hand and pulling him along again.

Unable to do anything but follow him, Luke stared at the back of his Alpha's head. His voice sounded like the silver glitter of a Starian - the emissary of the moon - must feel.

He was stunned as he had not expected such talent. It made him think about what his Alpha couldn't do. He seems to be a master at everything he touches.

"I cannot let myself be seen for a few days!" Kayleb laughed again.

Even though he really wanted to know what was going on, Luke couldn't ask; His sides ached from the high pace his Alpha had set for them. Completely out of breath, he began to hyperventilate.

Kayleb quickly realized, hearing the heavy breathing, that Luke wasn't an athlete, which suddenly made him stop in his tracks. The smaller boy literally fell into his arms, his eyes dilated.

Without thinking about it, Kayleb crouched down, grabbed Luke by the sides, and threw him onto his shoulder. It didn't help him to breathe, but it did make it easier for Kayleb to get some outside.

They rushed through the back door to the football field. Dozens of eyes looked snapped in their direction. He ran around a corner, sat Luke down there, and pushed him gently against the wall.

"Now take a deep breath, little Luke, take in this fresh air, cleansed by the dense forest around."

Even though Luke could hear every word, he just listened to his command to breathe.

Kayleb cupped his face, drawing circles on his thin cheeks, as his chest heaved and fell rather quickly, almost worriedly so.

He could hear many voices whispering behind him. But he ignored them as best he could. His priority now lay with his first proper subordinate, whom he had inadvertently pushed to the edge of his capabilities.

Once Luke had managed to take his first breath without feeling dizzy, he ran his smaller hands over the larger ones, still drawing circles on his ravenous cheeks.

Kayleb mentally cursed himself for not being able to get Luke to eat more. He had to grow and become stronger, or he would never be able to become what he was destined to be.

"Here!"

Suddenly, a hand came into Kayleb's field of vision. Immediately, he was ready to threaten this person. That was until he saw the water bottle in the hand. As his gaze traveled up the arm, he looked directly into murky, blue-green eyes. Chad's bright blonde medium-length hair fell into his eyes, his helmet hanging loosely in his other hand.