Chapter 30:

James, who doesn't know the house well enough, suddenly stopped at the top of the stairs and waited for the younger boy.

Kayleb watched in amusement, knowing what was about to happen. A moment later, a rather loud squeak was heard from above. Both Ian and Kayleb, who were already eating, looked at each other curiously but decided not to intervene.

Everything was fine until James walked into the kitchen with his bare bottom. "Um, where can I shower?" he asked with flushed cheeks, unable to decide which part of himself he should hide because his hands weren't enough to hide everything from the world.

Kayleb glanced at the Alpha werewolf's muscular form. He looked even better than the first time he had the luck to see him like this. The werewolves from this town should be training the boys in his hometown, as most there couldn't live up to the high standards that James and the rest there set.

Why would Kayleb accept someone as a subordinate whose body is lesser than this almost godlike body right before him? Which only shows a lack of determination. But he was also painfully aware that he would stare at everyone, which could make many people uncomfortable.

On the other hand, James could see the looks Kayleb was giving him. Unlike most men, he didn't just accept the other man's gaze with pride. But he also enjoyed his attention. When a flawless guy like his new Alpha - which is still a strange thought for him, being an Alpha himself - gives one such an intense look, anyone should feel honored, at least in your mind.

"Go up the stairs. Just after the second door on the left is a hallway with a few guest rooms. Get in one of those showers," Kayleb said to his subordinate Alpha, staring at his body with a slight grin. "Unless, of course, you want to shower in a sink or toilet. I know dogs do that sometimes," he added, his face serious, but his humorous tone betrayed his intention.

James tilted his head, looking at him confused, as they weren't all that different. But it didn't take long for him to understand what it was: just a little joke. At the same time, though, Ian started to chuckle lightly, which gave the impression that there was more to it than James thought. He began to believe it was malicious and became quite angry inside.

"So you're doing it?" He asked Kayleb with a raised eyebrow. "After all, you're just as much of a dog as I am."

Taken aback by his subordinate's sudden, witty reaction, Kayleb opened his mouth as if to say something, but instead, it simply stood open. Before he could answer, James had already fled the situation.

The only thing left in the kitchen was complete silence until a hearty laugh that James had never heard erupted from the younger lycan's mouth. But to be fair, he never heard Kayleb laugh out loud either, but his voice was much deeper than his younger brother's, so his laugh would be as well.

Before James could go too far, however, he heard the deafening silence again, devoid of any laughter, caused by his Alpha's remark that Ian shouldn't laugh about that, reminding him that he had actually washed like that during his first transformation.

James bursted out laughing at the comment, almost as hard as Ian had moments before. However, he quickly remembered the delicious-looking food waiting for him on the table, which he had caught in the kitchen. He, once again, realized he didn't have much time left to grab some of it, so he quickly composed himself and hurried upstairs.

After this little incident, Kayleb took a closer look at his brother. Sometimes, he dreamed about things and tried to imagine what they would be like if things had been different, but unfortunately, they didn't have that luxury.

He dreaded the day he would have to tell his little brother the truth. What others should have done years ago, but like so many times before, he had to do things older people should have done.