Chapter 66:

It was another empty evening where Dal just sat in his room, thinking about the beauty of his soulmate. About the way his eyes sparkle when he's happy or how bright his smile is when they're having a good time.

He hadn't heard from Kayleb since he told him he had to care for Theodore. But just remembering that filled him with such anger that he wanted to storm into his boyfriend's house and drag the other guy out.

But his anger quickly dissipates every time because he knows Kayleb would be unhappy if he does something like that.

As always, he could feel Chad's presence near him. They hadn't spoken much in a while. Slowly, the memories his body had made while he was away came back. Everything that had happened, the way he behaved and the way he treated others, disgusted him. Since then, he couldn't look his best friend in the eyes because he was sure he hated him.

Nevertheless, he was in his best friend's house and even had his own room. On the orders of his soulmate because he didn't want his father to come near him for any reason. He was right, of course. His old man had never really been good to him since he was a child, but to shut himself off of him entirely? Was that really necessary?

He had so many questions and no answers and only two days left before the autumn ball would be held in school. For the first time, he was actually excited about it, in particular, about how they would look together.

Lost in thought, he suddenly felt an arm wrap around him: fragile, yet warm and compassionate, certainly his mother. She was always there, protecting him from the worst.

They didn't say anything, just enjoyed each other's company. Until a sudden knock on the door ripped them from their silent embrace.

Without an invitation, one of his father's henchmen barged in and said authoritatively, "Your Alpha wants you to have dinner with him."

After delivering his message, the man left Dal and his mother alone again. Something felt wrong about the invitation that he couldn't say no to. Because it wasn't requested by his father but by his Alpha, meaning it's an official matter.

"We should go before your father comes and drags us out himself," his mother tried to joke, but they both knew this would happen if they didn't do what the Alpha wanted.

As sick as it was, neither of them had a real chance. Not as long as Kayleb didn't answer his phone.

But before they left the room, Dal stopped one last time, disrupting his mother as well.

"Mum?"

"Yes, honey?" She was worried about her son because of his half-broken whispers.

"I love Kayleb. I always thought I could choose who I wanted to be with because Dad told me so. But now that I know what love feels like, I understand why you stand by his side.

He couldn't look his mother in the eyes. It was the first time in his life that he spoke negatively about his father. He didn't hate him, but he despised him for everything he put him through.

"I know, darling. I would like to see you happy with him. You shouldn't listen to your father about things like this, and everything should be fine!"

He knew his mother was right. He needed to talk to Kayleb about it and get him to solidify their relationship so his father couldn't intervene even if he wanted to.

Before he could do that the next day, he had to get through that dinner with his family without hurting his father when he inevitably spoke badly about Kayleb again.