05ᴾʳᵒᵗᵉᶜᵗⁱᵒⁿ

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟎𝟓

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟎𝟓

"ᵀʰᵉʸ ʷᵉʳᵉ ᵃˡˡ ᶜʳᵃᶻʸ-"

━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━

"It's twins." A woman in a white coat spoke while holding a small baby. The doctor handed the baby to another doctor so that she could hurry and get the other. "They're both boys...but you know the rules, Campbell. You can only have one child."

The doctor had addressed the man by his last name as the two were already acquainted from work.

Mrs. Campbell immediately lifted her head up from the pillow, "They're twins. You can't just separate them."

Mr. Campbell grabbed onto his wife's hand with tears in his eyes. "Laura...it'll be more than separating them."

"Yes, I'm afraid you misunderstood, Mrs. Campbell. Has your husband not informed you of the population?" A guard in the room spoke while walking towards them. "We don't need any more people in the ark. You two will have to choose one to keep."

She slowly darted her eyes at her husband with a mixture of many emotions. "What are you going to do to the other?"

How could they make them have to choose?

"Laura, dear," Mr. Campbell quickly interrupted her from speaking while a guard was right beside him. "I'm sorry but there's nothing we can do."

"Except choose which one to kill." Laura snapped at him. "I can't choose between my own child."

The guard walked over to the two twins who were placed beside each other. "If you don't choose we'll just take both."

"No!" Laura tried to get up but she couldn't. "Don't you dare go near my babies! Don't touch them! I swear I'll-"

"Him." Orion Campbell pointed to one of her babies. "We'll keep him."

The doctor finished helping with Laura and then went to the babies with the other doctor. "Do you have a name in mind?"

Orion turned around to look at his wife who had a sad smile at seeing the baby. Mrs. Campbell was the one who chose the name, "Ethan, name him Ethan. After my father."

The doctor had gloves on while handling Ethan. His eyes glanced at the machine that started rapidly beating. The doctor quickly closed the cart that had the two babies but only one line was beating fast. He hurried to push the cart towards the door, trying to leave the room but then his legs slowly stopped just out the door as the line stopped beating. "I'm sorry."

"What?" The two parents looked at the doorway. "What is it? What happened? Doctor?"

One of the babies was moving and the other now wasn't.

The doctor slowly turned around with a saddened look. "It appears you don't have to choose anymore. Do you have another name in mind?"

"It appears!?" Orion was the one who raised his voice.