𝟏𝟔

- For King And Country

Mary was caught up in her thoughts as she gazed at the view of the French court when Jace stormed in, seeming anxious as he stared at the dark haired girl as he had gotten word from Catherine that Mary wanted to speak seeing as Francis already kne...

Mary was caught up in her thoughts as she gazed at the view of the French court when Jace stormed in, seeming anxious as he stared at the dark haired girl as he had gotten word from Catherine that Mary wanted to speak seeing as Francis already knew about the prophecy Nostradamus claimed about Hope and himself if he marries the Queen of Scotland, " Mary!"

The brunette stopped what she was doing as she turned around to look directly at Jace with a hesitant look but she knew that he deserves to know the truth about why she had ran away with Sebastian it wasn't because she had any feelings for him apart from friendship it was because Jace had only just been getting to know his sister and knew the close bond the siblings have already formed and didn't want to cause him any pain by being the one that would cause Hope's death.

" Thank you for coming" Mary muttered softly causing Jace to frown in concern as he stared at the women that he loved walking across the room and curiously questioned, " is this about Bash? Francis had just told me that King Henry will kill him if you don't marry him and still you refuse?" Mary nodded her head in confirmation with a saddened expression on her face as she wanted nothing more than to marry Francis so she can freely be with Jace but their is no way she will agree to it now especially with the death and heartbreak that will follow, " Yes, I'm sorry"

Jace scoffed in disbelief as he stared at Mary incredulously not understanding why the brunette was doing this as a couple of days ago she was happy to go ahead with Marrying Francis after speaking with him as they have come to an agreement that they will marry for their country's but no feelings were to be involved especially since they both were in love with other people, "This is insane. How far are you willing to go to destroy the alliance"

" But it will destroy Hope otherwise" Mary explained throwing her arms out in exasperation trying to get Jace to understand why she won't go through with the wedding to Francis causing Jace to furrow his brows with a puzzled expression on his face, " What?" He inquired with a shake of his head as Mary sighed heavily as she took a couple of steps forward and commented, "please, here me out. I want to explain myself. I want you to understand why I left you. It wasn't for lack of love or joy, or trust in you. It was because I couldn't bare the thought of you loosing your sister"

Jace scoffed as he folded his arms across his chest as he still didn't understand what Mary was trying to tell him as he stared into her dark brown eyes and muttered under his breathe but still loud enough so she could still hear him, "that makes no sense" Mary stayed silent for a couple of moments before she licked her lips and confessed, " Nostradamus had a vision. Of Hope's and Francis's death, brought about by me, if I marry Francis"

"You left me over a prophecy?" Jace questioned narrowing his eyes at Mary as all the heartbreak and hurt could of been avoided if she would of just spoken to him before she decided to leave the castle but she chose to believe in Nostradamus and Catherine and while he understood why she did what she did - it was to keep his little sister safe but it doesn't excuse the fact she had run off with Sebastian.