𝟏𝟗

- The Consummation

The next morning, Hope and Francis made their way back to the tavern as the auburn haired girl wanted to check on her brother and Lola  before Mary's lady in waiting returned to the castle

The next morning, Hope and Francis made their way back to the tavern as the auburn haired girl wanted to check on her brother and Lola before Mary's lady in waiting returned to the castle. Hope brought the girl into a right embrace as Jace and Francis watched the two girls with smiles on their faces as it was clear the two have been close ever since Lola arrived at court with her friends.

While Hope and Francis spent the night together enjoying each other's company what either of the two didn't know was that Jace was doing the same with but with Lola having no idea of the consequences that it would bring in a couple of months time, " Can you do me a favour and give this to my father. I just want him to know that I'm okay and safe with Francis"

Lola smiled with a look of understanding on her face as she grabbed the letter from Hope's hand and assured the girl, " Of course I will. Nothing been the same at court since you left and I know that Charles misses you and Jace" Hope smiled sadly but before she could reply  Maurice walked over towards the four of them and curiously questioned, " headed back to French court then? I mean you no trouble. Just wanted to ask the lady a small favor"

Maurice handed Lola a coin turning his attention away from Francis, Hope and Elijah looking directly at the brunette and told her, " when the Queen is led out to the executioner's block, throw that at her for me. Tell her to try to buy her way out of this one" Hope frowned with an confused expression on her face as Francis took a threatening step towards Maurice and demanded, "What are you talking about?"

Hope grabbed his arm to stop him from doing something stupid causing an amused smile to appear on Maurice face as he looked between the four of them and informed, "Oh, haven't you heard? There was a trial. She was found guilty of adultery. it's treason. The king plans to behead her within the week and I, for one, will welcome the end of her Medici money rotting France."

Maurice turned around going to walk away but halted in his steps as he turned to look at Lola over his shoulder and told her, "Oh, bring that coin back with her blood on it, and I'll give you a fortune in house credit" Hope furrowed her brows as she turned around to face Lola with an puzzled expression and questioned," did you know about this?"

"I had no idea. It can't be true" Lola replied shaking her head frantically as she was just as confused as every one of them causing Francis to sigh with a look of worry on his face as he looked between the three of them and informed, " I had no intention of ever returning to my father's court again but if I don't I'll be letting him murder my mother"

❀❀❀❀

Hope, Lola, Francis and Jace all rented a small inn for the night, Hope was putting on her necklace that her father had given her when she was a child as Lola was fastening the back off her dress when the sound of knocking was heard, " Come in. I'm nearly ready" Hope called out as Jace and Francis walked into the inn.