28

The time that was given to prepare for the pageant came and went quickly, and before Rin knew it, she and Mina were putting the finishing touches on her outfit.

That excited, nervous feeling swelled in Rin's stomach again, and she fiddled with the bracelet that was looped around her wrist as Mina fussed with her skirt. Rin's eyes hadn't moved from Kendo as she sliced through several wooden blocks as her talent entry for her performance, and found herself in awe at how she was able to move around so easily in her fancy dress.

"Focus, Rinny!" Mina snapped her fingers in front of Rin's face to get her attention. "We aren't forgetting anything, are we?"

Rin shook her head. "You did great in helping me, Mina. You can relax now."

"Not until I see you win!" Mina defiantly shook her head and sprayed her with perfume. "You've come too far not to!"

Rin couldn't help but sigh as she spoke, and took Mina's pestering hands in hers. The gesture made Mina jump, and when she met Rin's gaze, Rin smiled warmly at her.

"I don't care if I win," she confessed. "Just as long as Dad likes my song, then I'll be happy."

Mina's eyes watered and she quickly moved to wipe her face with her sleeve. "Oh, Rinny! You're so humble! We don't deserve you!"

Mina then proceeded to hug her as carefully as humanly possible so she wouldn't ruin what she had spent so much time on perfecting and quickly pulled away.

"That's it! I'll be proud of you no matter what!" She declared.

"Kendo is really amazing, you guys!" Nejire walked up beside them with her eyes trained on the stage. "I'm getting nervous!"

"She tears her gorgeous dress for this martial arts demonstration!" The announcer said as Rin and Mina followed Nejire's gaze. "The perfect coexistence of strength and beauty! What a wonderful performance!"

"Up next is the girl to beat, the one I told you about," Nejire said as she nudged Rin in the side. "Bibimi Kenranzaki. She wins every year!"

"Every year? That's insane!" Mina's jaw dropped just as Bibimi came onto the stage after Kendo's performance. Rin gulped nervously.

"How dull! You don't know anything, do you?!" Bibimi said cockily. "To try and compete with me with that!"

Rin looked on in astonishment as Bibimi came rolling onto the stage on a giant gold tank in the shape of her own head. She didn't know whether to be impressed or appalled at Bibimi's arrogance.

"Support Course third year and beauty pageant queen!" The announcer spoke over Bibimi. "She uses advanced techniques to show off her face! A stunning performance!"

"I don't know where to look." Rin confessed as she gawked at Bibimi's contraption.

"Neither do I!" Mina agreed as she held onto Rin's arm. Hado spared a laugh.

"Dazzling splendor is the goal of beauty!" Bibimi cheered as she spun on top of her tank head.

"Dazzling splendor...?" Rin mumbled to herself before looking toward Mina. "I don't know what that means."

"You don't have to!" Mina smiled cheekily at her. "All you have to do is kick butt in your own performance and knock hers out of the water! I know you can!"

"Mhm, me too!" Nejire was quick to agree. "I've seen your progress through the weeks! I know you got this in the bag!"

"I dunno..." Rin poked her index fingers together and looked down to the toes of her shoes. "I definitely think you'll win, Nejire. Your dance is too pretty not to..."