19

"Eri's vitals have remained unchanged for the past two-and-a-half days."

Rin stood in front of Eri's ICU room. She looked through the large window that exposed her tiny, trembling body, and her eyebrows furrowed together angrily. Eri has had an ongoing fever for days, and it felt as if the doctors who were supposed to be caring for her were doing nothing.

"I don't understand," Rin said. Aizawa and Eri's doctor both looked at her. "How can she still be in this state with treatment...? If she goes on like this, she'll..."

"We're doing everything we can," Eri's doctor sighed whilst sticking his hands into his coat pockets. Rin took a second to scowl up at him. "Recovery Girl has visited numerous times as well, but nothing seems to be working. Her body has to heal from her overuse at its own speed."

"There has to be something." Rin said through clenched teeth. Aizawa set a hand on her shoulder.

"We have to be patient, Rin," he said softly. "Even if it seems hopeless."

Rin's hands clenched into fists at her sides, and she rose one hand to press it against the glass. A silence befell the three who stood there, and after a moment, Rin finally looked toward the doctor again.

"Would you let me try something?" She asked. Eri's doctor sent her an incredulous look.

"What?"

"My Quirk has specialized affects on the body depending on how I use it," Rin reiterated. "Siren lets me hypnotize people, cast them to sleep, ease anxieties...! I'm sure if I tried hard enough, I could will Eri's sickness away, too!"

"Rin, that's way too risky for the both of you," Aizawa shook her by the shoulder he held onto. "Eri is still too unstable —"

"I'll only have to touch her for a few minutes. Though, I'm not sure how long the affects last on girls... but I think it can give her doctors the opening to really make her better! She's been miserable long enough, and besides, you're standing right here," Rin justified as she turned to him. She had a determined look in her eye. "If something goes wrong and Eri's Quirk is activated, you can just erase it."

"I'm still unsure..." Eri's doctor took a glance at his patient.

"It's better than not trying at all," Rin pled. "If it doesn't work... then I'll stand back while she heals on her own, but if I don't get to try now, I won't stop."

Eri's doctor released a breath and finally walked passed her. She and Aizawa turned just as he pulled a keycard out of his pocket, and the door leading into Eri's room slid open.

"You only get a few minutes," he said strictly. "No more than that."

Rin's face lit up with relief, and with one more glance in her father's direction, she was rushing into the ICU room. Eri's doctor sealed the door shut from behind her, and Rin's eyes fell to the girl in question.

She could hear Eri's ragged breathing as she silently approached. Her hand came up to Eri's burning forehead, and the other was placed on one of her tiny fists. Her entire body was exuding heat, and that only made Rin worry more as she closed her eyes.

"Work with me here, Eri..." Rin whispered. She took a deep breath. "Take a moment and think of just...
Flexibility, love, and trust...
Take a moment to think of just...
Flexibility, love, and trust...
Here comes a thought
That might alarm you,
What someone said,
And how it harmed you.
Something you did,
That failed to be charming,
Things that you said, are suddenly swarming. And oh,
You're losing sight,
You're losing touch,
All these little things, seem to matter so much,
That they confuse you,
That I might lose you..."

An unmistakable pull weighed down in the back of Rin's head. She could feel that her powers weren't working in the way that she wanted them to, and silently cursed herself. She pushed herself to try harder.

"Take a moment, remind yourself to
Take a moment and find yourself.
Take a moment and ask yourself if
This is how we fall apart?
But it's not, but it's not, but it's not, but it's not, but it's not...
It's okay, it's okay, it's okay, it's okay, it's okay...
You've got nothing
Got nothing, got nothing, got nothing
Got nothing to fear,
I'm here, I'm here, I'm here..."

She felt Eri shift under her hands.

"Here comes a thought
That might alarm me,
What someone said,
And how it harmed me.
Something I did
That failed to be charming,
Things that I said, are suddenly swarming.
And oh,
I'm losing sight,
I'm losing touch,
All these little things, seem to matter so much,
That they confuse me,
That I might lose me...

Take a moment, remind yourself to
Take a moment and find yourself.
Take a moment and ask yourself if
This is how we fall apart?
But it's not, but it's not, but it's not, but it's not, but it's not...
It's okay, it's okay, it's okay, it's okay, it's okay...
I've got nothing
Got nothing, got nothing, got nothing
Got nothing to fear,
I'm here, I'm here, I'm here...
And it was just a thought, just a thought, just a thought, just a thought...
It's okay, it's okay, it's okay, it's okay, it's okay...
We can watch, we can watch, we can watch
We can watch them go by,
From here, from here, from here.

Take a moment to think of just...
Flexibility, love, and trust...
Take a moment to think of just...
Flexibility, love, and trust..."

Rin drew back upon hearing Eri coughing, and snapped her eyes open to see that the feverish hue to her cheeks was gone. A relieved grin broke across Rin's face, and she turned over her shoulder toward the window Aizawa and the doctor stood behind. She staggered to the side just as Eri's doctor rushed into the room, and caught herself on the wall when he proceeded to check her vitals.

"Her fever broke," he said as Aizawa rushed to Rin's side, astonished. "And her blood pressure is back to normal."

"Seriously?" Aizawa looked shocked.

"Yes..." said Eri's doctor, and he slowly turned his head to look at Rin. "She may wake up any second. I'm going to need you two to stand outside."

Rin grinned despite being kicked out, and allowed Aizawa to escort her back into the hall. When they did, Rin leaned her weight against the wall.

"How did you know that would work?" Aizawa asked.

"I didn't," Rin laughed weakly and palmed her forehead. "But... I had to try anyway. We went through all this to save her... what good would it have done if she died after all?"

"You're right," Aizawa's shoulders relaxed, and he wrapped his arm around her. "But you're looking a little drained. Let's get you back in bed until Eri's doctor has more to tell us."

Rin nodded steadily in agreement, and as they proceeded toward her hospital room, she turned over her shoulder toward Eri. She didn't know how long the doctors would have with this window she was able to give them, but she hoped that it would be enough.

She wanted so badly for Eri to be okay, not only for herself, but for Nighteye's sacrifice as well.