2

"Open up, say 'aaah'!"

Rin opened her mouth wide, and allowed Mina to drop a spoonful of chocolate frosting onto her tongue. The sweetness made her blush, and Rin's soft 'mmm' as she palmed her cheeks made Mina giggle.

"Yummy, huh?" She asked, placing the spoon in the sink and making a grab for the butter knife that sat on the counter.

Rin nodded excitedly. "What's this cake for, anyway?"

"To celebrate your adoption, of course!" Mina cheered, and thrust her free fist into the air as she frosted the cake. "Mr Aizawa wouldn't let us throw a party when he told everyone about it, so I settled with making a cake instead."

"That's nice of you." Rin smiled warmly as she hopped up onto the counter. She laid her hands into her lap.

"It's the least I could do," she replied, not looking up as she started lining the top of the cake with candles. "With everything that's happened... it wouldn't be the right type of happy ending without at least a little celebrating. You know?"

"Shouta isn't the celebrating type..." Rin said, and Mina laughed as she nodded.

"You got that right," she agreed. "But... y'know, it'd be easier to plan these things and be prepared when you tell your best friend about them!"

"You're never going to let me live this down, are you?" Rin let out a laugh as Mina thrust her frosted butter knife at her, and Rin held her hands up in surrender.

"You're damn right I'm not!" Mina declared, and pretended to wipe a tear away from her face. "And to think, we did all that bonding for nothing!"

"It wasn't for nothing, silly," she playfully rolled her eyes whilst hopping off the counter, and wrapped her arms around Mina's waist from behind. "You're still my very best friend, right?"

"Well... yeah," Mina sighed whilst turning to pinch Rin's cheek. "You're lucky you're cute, y'know that? Or else I'd beat you up!"

"You love me too much to do that!" Rin squeaked, and snapped her eyes closed as Mina pulled on her cheeks.

"That's besides the point!"

"What's going on in here?"

Aizawa's voice made both girls snap their eyes in his direction, and quickly Mina spun on her heel to continue her work on the cake.

"Mina's mad that I didn't tell her I was coming," Rin said, rubbing the side of her face. "She pinched me."

"Don't tattle, traitor!" Mina whisper shouted and shot a fake scowl toward her.

Rin replied with sticking out her tongue, and Aizawa merely shook his head as he waved his hand, beckoning that his new daughter follow.

"C'mon, kid. I have something for you."

Rin's brow rose curiously, and with one last look given to Mina, she quickly scurried into the hall with him. He led her out the front doors and sat on the last step leading into the courtyard. She followed his lead and sat beside him, and tried to sneak a peak at what it was that he was taking out of his pocket.

He chanced her a look from the corner of his eye, and after another moment, he revealed a small, rectangular navy box.

"A gift for..." he trailed off, clearing his throat as she took the box from his hands. "The adoption."

His nervousness made her smile, and she opened up the lid to see a silver necklace staring back at her. Her eyes widened at the kanji that wrote 'daughter' sitting daintily on the velvet pillow lining the bottom of the box, and ran a gentle finger over the diamonds that made it sparkle.