6

Rin sat in her dorm room that night, laid on her bed with her eyes stuck to the ceiling. The events of that day replayed in her head like an old movie, and she went over the ways they could have saved Eri right then; to save her the extra weeks that it would take for them to track down Chisaki. She was at a loss on what to do with herself, and rolled over in bed to face the wall.

She held Deku's old All Might figurine in her fist and let out a loose, steadying breath. She knew that overthinking the situation and doing something rash would only make matters worse, and willed the weighing sensation in the back of her head away. She had to tell herself that Eri was going to be alright, and she had to believe it.

The sound of her phone buzzing on her nightstand prompted her to roll in its direction. She plucked the device up from its spot, and rose a curious brow at the sight of Togata calling.

"Hey, Rin! You answered," Togata spoke as soon as she held the phone to her ear, and smiled at the sound of his voice. "I just wanted to check up on you after what happened today. You seemed pretty spooked. How're you feeling?"

"I've had better days," Rin sighed as she sat up. She still cradled Deku's figurine in her lap. "But... I guess I'm okay now. Are you?"

"Huh? Me? I'm fine!" He said, however something about his tone made Rin doubt him. "I just wanted to remind you that we'll catch Chisaki, and save Eri too! We'll all do it together, so there's nothing to worry about!"

"Thanks, Togata..." she thanked him genuinely.

"Call me Mirio," she could tell he was smiling. "How's Deku doing?"

"He hasn't come out of his room since we got back," Rin replied, and felt herself deflate all over again whilst falling back onto her pillow. "He hasn't really said anything to me."

"Yeah... I tried calling him, too," Togata blew air out of his mouth. "Didn't answer, obviously. I feel like he took it a lot harder than both of us, given the circumstances."

"That's just... how he is," Rin glanced toward her door. "He was the same when I came to U.A. for the first time."

"He's just a natural born hero, isn't he?" Togata's tone was playful, but it made Rin feel worse.

"Yeah..."

"Hey, what's wrong? You're sounding all bummed out for some reason." He asked. He caught onto her quickly.

"I don't know," Rin said honestly. "I'm wondering... if it would be the same between me and him if my dad didn't assign him to look after me."

"Oh, I gotcha," Togata sympathized. She heard him sigh and a door opening in the background. "Classic doubt, right? Just see how it goes, you'll know if it's real. Like a gut feeling, y'know?"

"I guess," Rin shrugged loosely. "I hope you're right."

"Just try getting some rest, got it?" He said, and just like that his happy-go-lucky aura was back. "I'm here for you. Let me know if you need anything."

"Thanks... Mirio." She smiled to herself at his generosity.

"Sleep well, Rin," he said. "Goodnight, I'll see you tomorrow."