nineteen

songs for this chapter

baby blue eyes - a rocket to the moon (this has nothing to do w the chapter but i like it so :-))

John Winchester was a man of rugged handsomeness. His mannerism, which, from what Dean had explained was tough love, seemed to be the exact opposite. He loved his boys with all he had, he just seemed to have trouble showing it.

"Dean, what if he doesn't like me?" I felt how Dean must have when he met my parents. My face was hot, nervous, and I felt completely unpresentable. Janelle had helped me pick out what to wear, and helped me with my hair and make-up, but she could only help with my appearance. I was a mess, my heartbeat a constant, fast thudding that couldn't be slowed.

"He's going to love you," Dean smiled as he opened the door of his dad's car. Dean had insisted on coming to pick me up once I was ready, and though I tried to decline the offer, he insisted. He offered me his hand, putting his arm around me reassuringly after locking the car. "Who wouldn't?" I didn't answer, just bit my lip, looking at the ground.

"Hey, I mean it," Dean stopped walking, turning so he was standing in front of me. He put his thumb under my chin, gently forcing me to look at him. "You're going to be fine. Knowing him, he probably just ordered some food and we're going to sit in the living room and eat. Don't worry, okay?"

I took a deep breath, nodding. "Okay."

We finished the short walk to the front door, and Dean used his key to get us in.

"Dad?" he called, locking the door behind us. As my breathing sped up, Dean linked our fingers, rubbing the back of my hand with his thumb. "Don't worry, baby." he whispered, his chin resting on my shoulder.

"Dean?" a deeper voice answered. Dean squeezed my hand, leading me further into the house. Sam smiled at me when we entered the dining room, turning off whatever game he had been playing to give us his full attention.

"Hi Audrey."

"Hey Sam."

Their dad emerged from the kitchen, his baby blue striped button-up open to reveal a white shirt. He threw a white towel over his shoulder as he exited the kitchen, smiling at me when he saw me.

"So you're the girl Dean keeps telling me about?" he laughed.

Dean groaned, but said nothing.

"I sure hope so," I smiled shyly. "Nice to meet you, Mr. Winchester, I'm Audrey."

"I'm not that old, am I?" he grinned. "Call me John."

"Okay... John."

He laughed, turning around and walking back into the kitchen as he said, "Why don't you kids sit down? Dinner's almost ready."

"...So he completely fell on his face!" John laughed as he finished telling me a story from when Dean was a child. I burst out laughing, almost choking on my water in the process. Sam chuckled from across the table, and Dean, who was next to me, grumbled quietly as he drank from his cup. Under the table, I put my hand on his thigh, trying to tell him to lighten up.

"He was a clumsy kid," their dad said when he stopped laughing. "I'd like to think we've taken care of that."

"I think Dean could still use some training," I smiled, squeezing his thigh. "Did he tell you how we met?"

"No," John sat up, resting his elbows on the table. "No, I can't say he did."

"My friend Janelle and I were trying to cross the street to get to her boyfriend's car, and someone," I turned to look at Dean, laughing when he rolled his eyes, "Came flying into the intersection! Almost hit me with his car."

John laughed, and Sam stared wide-eyed at Dean. Apparently he hadn't heard the story.

"I didn't come 'flying into the intersection,'" Dean tried to keep up his grumpy act, but he cracked a smile. "I told you, there was something wrong with the breaks."

"You still almost killed me, an innocent human being," I laughed as I teased him, dramatically raising my hand to my chest.

"That's ironic," Sam muttered.

From the corner of my eye, I saw John give Sam a hard look. Sam dropped his eyes, picking up his fork and playing with the left over food on his plate.

"Well," John said before anyone could say anything else, "I'm not a big baker, but I bought a pie, if anyone wants some."

He stood up, grabbing Sam's plate and putting it on top of his empty one. As he reached for mine, I stood up. "Let me help," I said, grabbing my plate and Dean's, and turning to walk into the kitchen.

A couple hours later, when all of us seemed fairly tired out, I sighed, standing up. "I should probably get home."

"Already? It's only-"

"It's almost eleven, Dad." Sam said.

"Well crap. Okay, then," John stood up, giving me an awkward hug. "I hope I see you again, soon."

"Yeah, me too." I smiled.

I said my goodbye's to Sam and followed Dean out of the house.

"I like your dad," I said, smiling when he got in the car.

"I told you you had nothing to worry about."

We arrived at my house a few minutes later, and Dean walked me to my door.

"Thanks for putting up with my family tonight," he said, half-joking.

"Thanks for inviting me," I chortled. "I really do like your family."

He smiled, leaning in to kiss me. "Goodnight Audrey."

"Goodnight.

i actually hate john winchester this was so difficult to write lol