eight

Within the next few weeks, Dean and I went on numerous dates.

On our second date, he wouldn't stop apologizing about the mishaps on our first date. I just giggled, telling him it was okay. He wouldn't stop smiling. When we drove back to Elijah's house, he played Sleeping With Sirens' cover of Iris. A huge smile took up my face, and I clutched his arm as the car slowed to a stop in front of a red light.

"I love this cover!" I squealed, turning up the volume. Surprisingly, Dean let me.

"It's not too bad." he tried to sound tired, but his smile ruined it.

"I told you you'd like them."

"I didn't say I did."

"Then why are you playing them?" I smirked as the light went from red to green. "Dean Winchester, are you trying to impress me?"

"Depends, is it working?"

I laughed, leaning my head back against the head rest of my seat. "I think it is."

--

On our third date, Dean talked about his family a lot- especially his brother. He told me all the things Sam didn't have the voice to tell me- his hobbies, his interests, his personality. Occasionally, Dean would tell a story about how Sam screwed up, badly enough to the point where their dad became enraged, sometimes to the point where Dean was scared of him, and worried he might hurt him or Sam.

"I mess up, too, though," Dean defended his brother against himself. "Sammy's a good kid, he never does it on purpose. But sometimes... He just doesn't know when to stop talking."

"I find that hard to believe."

Dean laughed, but it wasn't as lively as normal. "It used to be bad. Eventually, I just told him if he had nothing important to say, to not say anything at all."

"So you're the reason he doesn't talk much?" I tried my best to not make it sound like an accusation.

He hung his head, nodding slightly. "I think so."

"So fix it." I nudged him lightly, trying to get him to look at me.

"How?"

I shrugged. "You're his brother, I'm sure you'll figure something out."

--

Dean didn't talk to me for a week and a half after our third date. At first, I was worried I had offended him when I asked if he was the reason Sam was so quite, but Janelle assured me I hadn't. She said Dean was spending a lot of time with Sam, and Sam was slowly beginning to come out of his shell.

When I did get a call from Dean's cellphone, it wasn't Dean on the other end of the line.

"Hello?"

"Audrey?" a semi-familiar, higher pitched voice asked.

"Yes?"

"It's Sam." he paused for a moment too long.

"Sam?" I prompted.

"Yeah, sorry. Uh, I was wondering if you'd want to come to the carnival tonight? With Dean and me."

"I don't want to intrude on your plans-"

"No, I want you to come." Sam shuffled, and then his voice was lower. "Dean wants you to come."

I laughed. "Then I'd love to."

I heard Sam's smile in his voice. "Can we pick you up later?"