seven

I think the main reason Elijah, Janelle, and I always hung out at Elijah's house during the summer was that it was always vacant. Mr. and Mrs. Mikaelson always left the state, sometimes the country, and spent the summer away from California. Their children were always invited to come, but it was rare that they joined their parents. Elijah was the youngest of the Mikaelson children, and the only one still in high school. Finn moved to London to go to a university, and over the summer, Rebekah and Kol normally went on their own road trip, leaving Elijah and Klaus alone in their mansion.

Klaus normally hung out with us, so I didn't have to be alone with the happy couple, but that summer, for whatever reason, he didn't.

When Janelle and I arrived at the house, he was on his way out.

"Leaving so soon?" I teased him as we walked up the steps.

His face lit up when he saw up when he saw us, and he smiled, which was fairly rare. "I'm afraid so. I have some business to attend to," he stopped in front of us. "But I'll make sure that I see you both very soon."

Elijah came out of the house, and Janelle continued up the steps, kissing her boyfriend. Klaus rolled his eyes. "What are your plans for tonight, Audrey?"

"I think I have a date." I smiled, remembering why I was at the house.

Klaus nodded, his smiling falling slightly. "Ah, yes. Nice boy, isn't he?"

I let out a short laugh. "I think so."

Klaus nodded again. "Well, I've got to run. I'll see you later, love." He gave me a small smile before going around me, down the steps towards his car.

"Where's Klaus going?" I heard Janelle ask Elijah as I went into the house.

"Who knows."

I went into the living room, expecting Janelle and Elijah to follow, but they stayed by the door. Dean came out of the kitchen, wearing dark slim-fit jeans and a red shirt.

"I feel bad," Dean said to Elijah, to which Elijah groaned in response.

"I already told you its okay!"

"What's going on?" I asked as Janelle threw Elijah his jacket from the couch.

"You two are having your date here, and we're going out." Janelle grinned.

"But it's your house," I said to Elijah. He just shrugged.

"Have fun." he smiled before turning around and leading Janelle toward the door.

I turned to face Dean, suddenly nervous. Based on his facial expression, our emotions were the same.

"Hey." Dean finally said, breaking the silence.

I smiled. "Hi."

Dean smiled in return, nodding slightly before gesturing towards the kitchen. "Shall we?"

"What's the plan?" I asked, leading the way into the kitchen.

"Well, I'm going to attempt to make... whatever this is." Dean held up a piece of paper, a recipe for some sort of pasta printed across it.

"Attempt?"

"I'm not a very good cook," he laughed nervously. "But it's worth a shot, right?"

I nodded, smiling. "Right."

Dean went to work, and as he tried to prepare the meal, we made small talk, mainly just asking each other questions to get to know each other more.