twenty seven

"So you and Klaus never happened? Seriously?"

"No," I repeated, confused as to why Dean would think that. "He's one of my closest friends, but I don't- we're nothing more than friends."

"And you've never had feelings for him?" Dean's tone wasn't accusatory or demanding, only curious.

"No." I averted my eyes, playing with the grass beneath me.

Dean let out a low whistle. "Oh, I knew it! When?"

"I don't know," I said honestly. "I mean as a teenager he was the mysterious older brother I had a crush on. Until the summer I turned seventeen. After that it was gone."

"Really?"

I nodded, looking back up at Dean. His eyes met mine and I returned my gaze to the grass."Yeah."

"So... I mean..." he trailed off, as if he were unsure of what to say.

"I don't think now's the time to get shy with me," I teased him, smiling.

He let out a short laugh. "Yeah, okay. Have you... been with anyone... since...?"

"Probably not in the way you're asking," I answered. "I've been on a couple dates, but, after a while I'd lose interest."

"Should I be worried?" he half-laughed, his tone nervous.

"No. I lost interest because they weren't you, as stupid as that sounds. You really did a number on me," I laughed, trying to lighten the mood.

He chuckled. "Well, I guess that's a good thing."

I nodded, trying to gather the courage to ask the question I knew the answer to. "What about you?"

His eyes fell to the ground, his smiling fading. "Well..."

"I'm assuming that means you've gotten better at being around girls?"

"Hey!" he laughed. "I've always been good with girls!"

"Well, you've always had that sultry James Dean smirk thing going for you, but the way I remember it- and I'm saying this nicely- you were so lame."

His mouth fell open as he laughed. "Yeah, well, what can I say? You were my first girlfriend."

I laughed, enjoying the natural feeling that came with being around Dean.

"What time is it?" I asked after our laughter died down.

"Um," Dean checked his watch. "Almost five."

"I should probably get home," I sighed, standing up.

"Wait- No- Why?"

"Because I told Klaus I was going out to dinner with Sam and I didn't go home last night, and I think it's about time I got home and explain myself."

"Why'd you tell Klaus you were going out with Sam?"

"Because I didn't want to explain why I wanted to be alone."

"Why'd you have to explain anything to him?" his tone became harsher.

"Because, he- he asked me out last night."

"Wait, Sam or Klaus?"

"Klaus," I said quickly. "He-"

"What did you say?"