two

Elijah Mikaelson was one of the richest kids in town. He was the one who threw all the wild parties when his parents were out of town, the one with an abundance of cars in his garage, the one who had almost every girl in town hanging on his every word.

He was also one of the sweetest human beings I had ever come across in my sixteen years of living. He had been in a long and happy relationship with my best friend, Janelle, for a little over three years, and despite how obviously happy he made her, he was even happier with her. It wasn't shown in public displays of affection, (they weren't too big on that, although they did have their days), but more so in the way he looked at her, or smiled at her when she wasn't even aware she had his attention. To say they were a perfect couple was an absolute understatement; It was like they were made for each other, and although she was only sixteen, and he was only seventeen, there was no denying they were completely, absolutely, without a doubt, in love with each other.

I watched them from my seat in the back next to Dean, not bothering to hide the envy on my face. I took a quick side glance at Dean, who was staring out the window at the buildings and trees as they blurred past us, before looking back at Elijah and Janelle. Elijah had one hand on the wheel, the other in Janelle's lap, their fingers intertwined. Janelle was doing the same thing as Dean, oblivious to the fact that Elijah and I were watching her. At every stop light, Elijah would not so discretely look over at his girlfriend, a huge smile taking over his face every time he did so. Janelle caught him once, at the last light before we pulled into his driveway, and smiled back.

When we got to Elijah's house, he got out of the car, opened my door, and then rushed to the other side of the car to open Janelle's. She got out and stood on her toes, wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him down enough so she could kiss him.

I rolled my eyes and turned around, making my way up to Elijah's front door.

"You know," Dean said, catching up to me. "Green's not a very good color on you. What, is this some sort of tragic love story? You're in love with your best friend's boyfriend?" he said mockingly, putting his hand over his heart to be even more over dramatic.

"Sorry, sweetheart, but you've got it all wrong," I replied, turning around to look at them. "But just.. Look at them. Their love's one for the books, and their sixteen, seventeen year old's. How can someone not be jealous of that?"

I looked at Dean, who, to my surprise, was looking at me, like my words had awe'd him. "What?"

"Nothing," he shook his head and looked away. "I agree with you, though," he said as he looked at Janelle and Elijah, who were beginning to  make their way up the drive. "They are... perfect."

"More than perfect," I sighed. "It gets annoying, you know. Being around them all the time."

"What, you don't have a boyfriend?"

I shook my head. "Never have."

"Never?"

"Nope."

"I find that hard to believe."

"Why?"

"Audrey!" Elijah exclaimed when they were close enough for us to hear them. "You have to come tonight!"

"Did Janelle put you up to this?"

Elijah smiled sheepishly and shrugged slightly. "No."

"Wait, you're not going?" Dean raised his eyebrows at me.

"I don't know."

"Oh, come on! You just said for yourself that they can get annoying," Dean said hurriedly, and quietly, so they couldn't hear. "You can't just dump them on me."

I laughed. "You make a good point."

"So you'll come?" Dean looked at me with these big, hopeful eyes. His bottom lip was barely pushed out to form a small pout, which was being intensified as he tried not to smirk. I tried not to smile in return, but failed.

"Fine," I sighed in defeat. "I'll go. On one condition."

"Anything," Dean said without hesitation.

"You don't leave me. You can't dump them on me." I looked at Elijah and Janelle, who had just joined us on Elijah's porch.

Dean smirked. "I promise."