twenty eight

"Audrey," I heard Klaus' voice whispering. He shook me gently, saying my name again. "Audrey."

The memories from the previous night came back to me, and I was suddenly scared to face him. His shaking persisted, and finally I was forced to turn around and face him. My stomach dropped at the sight of his bare torso, his black jeans hugging his hips. He gave me a confused look as I looked at him, avoiding his eyes.

"Are you alright?"

"Dandy," I sighed, wishing I could squeeze my eyes shut and my mistake from the previous night would go away. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course... Are you okay?"

"What happened last night?" I ignored his question, sitting up and running my fingers through my hair.

"I don't know?" his voice went up at the end, turning his statement into a question. "Are you drunk?"

"God I hope so," I mumbled. I looked up at him and sighed. "No, I don't think so. What happened last night?" I asked again.

"I don't know," he repeated. "I just got home."

"What?"

"What?"

"What do you mean you just got home?"

"I was out with some friends all night... I just got out of the shower and decided to check on you."

"Are you serious?" Relief flooded my body, a weight being lifted from me.

"Yes.. Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm great," I smiled. "I'm going to shower."

I joined Klaus in the kitchen after my shower. He greeted me with a cup of coffee and a sympathetic smile.

"Are you sure you're okay?" he asked as I rolled up the bottom of my leggings.

"I promise." I smiled, taking a drink from my cup. "I just... I had a dream that seemed way too realistic."

"I'm listening," he grinned, leaning across the counter to get closer to me.

"Don't worry about it, it was just... weird."

"Oh," Klaus nodded once, a confused look on his face. "Good or bad weird?"

"A little bit of both." I said after a few moments.

Klaus laughed. "Alright. Do you want to get some breakfast?"

"Actually, I have to go see someone. Can I take a rain check?"

"Of course." he smiled. "Have fun."

I thanked him, grabbing my keys and leaving the house. It took a few minutes for me to bring myself to start my car and start the dreaded drive to see him.

"Audrey?" Sam's face was a mixture of confusion and surprise. He stepped out of the room, pulling the door closed behind him. "Dean's here... I don't know if you really want to come in. He's kind of... all over the place."

"He's actually the reason I'm here. Can I come in?"

Sam thought for a moment before nodding.

"I was going to step out... grab a bite.... Unless you wanted me to stay?" his voice was low.

"Go, it's fine. Thanks, Sam." my voice just as quiet as his.

He nodded in response, reaching into his pocket and pulling out the keys to Dean's car. "Good luck."

I laughed lightly, waiting until he was gone to face the hotel room door. I took a deep breath, slowly turning the door knob.

"Dean?" I called into the dark room. When I closed the door, the room became almost pitch black.

I heard a groan in response. "Shut up, Sam."

I laughed lightly. "It's not Sam."

I heard the rustling of blankets, and as my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I saw his silhouette sit up on the bed I had been on the night before. "Audrey?"

"Yeah."

Dean turned on the light on the nightstand, flinching away from it when it came on.

"Are you drunk?"

"Hung over," he answered, rubbing his eyes with his fingers. "Not all of us have the hang-over-repellent superpower you have."

I laughed loudly, and he flinched again. "Sorry."

"It's alright," he sighed, blinking. "Give me a second," he stood up, going into the bathroom. Through the closed door, I heard him brushing his teeth, splashing his face afterwards. When he emerged, he sat at the end of his bed. "So what are you doing here?"

The question took me aback. I knew why I was there, but I didn't know how to word it.

Before I could say anything, Dean spoke up. "Can I start, then?" I nodded. "I'm sorry I was such an ass yesterday."

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about," I said, hoping to ease myself into it.

"Really?"

"Kind of." I took a few steps toward him. "No, not really."

"Are you okay?" he reached for me, dropping his arm when he realized what he was doing.

"Yeah. I figured it out, I think."

"Figured what out?"

"What I want."

His eyes fell, his lips falling into a sort of pout. "And what's that? Klaus?" he asked spitefully.

"No," I almost laughed, taking a few more steps towards him. "I want you. Now. You told me you were willing to wait... I don't want you to have to wait. I want you, and all of your jealous tantrums, and the person I fell in love with when I was seventeen."

A sad smile came across his face. "I'm not the same. I've seen and done enough to have been changed."

"Well then I want you, changed or not. That is, if you'll have me."

"Is that even a question?" he smiled, reaching for me again. This time I grabbed his hand, letting him pull me to him. I stood in between his legs as he played with my fingers. "I'll always choose you."

I felt myself smile, watching his face as he looked at our hands. His hazel eyes flicked up to mine, a shy smile playing on his lips. "Sleep with me? Just sleep." he teased me.

I rolled my eyes, pushing his shoulder lightly. "Of course."

Dean crawled back to where he had been laying when I came in. "I didn't really get much sleep last night," he said, his tone slightly embarrassed. "Sorry, I'm just so tired, you know?"

"Yeah, last night was a weird night for me, too." I said without thinking.

"What happened?" he asked as I kicked off my shoes and took off my jacket.

"Overthinking, I guess." I said after a few moments. "Nothing important." I turned off the lights, crawling into bed with Dean.

He hummed in response.

the ending was bad bc i didn't know how to end it pls forgive

would anyone like it if in the next chapter you guys found out why this story's been written in italics?