twenty four

songs for the chapter

before the worst - the script

Klaus asked me what had happened numerous times, but I didn't want to talk about it. I had done so well forgetting about Dean Winchester, I had almost forgotten the feeling of him telling me he loves me, forever.

Yeah, right.

Klaus let me cry, never once telling me to suck it up or acting annoyed with me. After Dean left, we moved to the couch, bringing the Thai food into the living room. Klaus let me pick the movie we watched, which of course ended up being a total chick flick. He didn't complain. Half way through the movie, I fell asleep with my head on his shoulder, curled up next to him. He had his arm wrapped tightly around me, his body leaning into mine slightly.

The next morning, the sun woke me up. I was still curled up next to Klaus, his arm was still around me. I failed to fall back asleep right away, but rather than getting up, I stayed cuddled up next to Klaus. Focusing on the steady beat of his heart, I eventually managed to doze off.

Around ten, my ringing phone woke me up. Klaus stirred, and mumbled in his sleep, but didn't wake up. I took my phone, silencing it, and slipped outside, careful not to answer until I was sure I wouldn't disturb Klaus.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Audrey, it's Sam."

I smiled to myself, sitting on the porch. "Hey, what's up?"

"I'm starving," he said, like him calling me on a Sunday morning was a normal thing. "Want to grab breakfast?"

"Um- I don't know..."

"Dean told me what happened."

"Is that supposed to convince me?"

Sam chuckled. "No, I guess not. What I was trying to say is you don't have to hide anything from me."

"You always were terrible at words," I teased him.

He chortled. "Yeah, yeah. So? Are you up to it?"

"Actually-" The front door opened, a sleepy looking Klaus exiting the house. He gave me a question look, to which I shrugged in reply. "I'm a little busy this morning. Maybe dinner?"

"Sounds good. See you later."

"See you- Oh, wait!"

"What is it? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. But, um," I turned away, as if it would stop Klaus from hearing me. "How is he?"

"Hurt." Sam answered bluntly. "But he knew seeing you wouldn't be easy."

"Seeing me? Did he tell you what I said?"

"No?" his voice made the statement a question. "What did you say?"

"I guess I'll tell you later," I sighed, wanting to smack myself for saying anything.

"Okay... How are you? Are you okay after... I don't know, seeing him?"

"I don't know."

"I'll let you think about it," I heard Sam's shy smile. "Get back to me."

"Okay. See you later, Sam."

"See you."

"Can I make you breakfast?" Klaus asked when we re-entered the house.

"Is that even a question?" I laughed. "Of course."