twenty one

We packed our bags after Janelle had made the reservations. She didn't tell Elijah, worried he'd tell us not to go. She said we were going out for 'girl time.'

Klaus had gone on a trip with some of his friends for a couple of days, and was returning home later that evening. She waited until Klaus was almost home to tell Elijah about our outing. He didn't pay much attention to our plans, he was more excited about his brother coming home.

"Okay," he said when she told him. "When will you be back?"

"Tomorrow, I guess."

When Klaus came home, we waited about an hour before leaving. Klaus told us about his trip, and when the conversation died down, Janelle excused us. I tried not to say much, worried about interfering with her plan.

"Okay, so when I called they said the cabin it happened in is off limits, for obvious reasons," Janelle told me as we drove to Auburn. "But Chamber's Cabin is actually more than one cabin. It's like a little duplex in the park, and the death's happened in one of the cabins in that 'duplex.'"

"They didn't think it was weird you were calling about a cabin in that area?" I asked, picking at my nails.

Janelle kept her eyes on the road. "Well... See, Chamber's is kind of the, uh... 'romantic' cabins... So..."

"What did you do?" I asked when she trailed off.

"Nothing. Just hold my hand when we check in."

-

"Hi, I have reservations for Chamber's Cabin," Janelle smiled, resting her hands- and one of mine, since our fingers were linked- on the counter. I smiled at the employee sitting behind the marble counter top.

"Room thirty four?"

"That's the one."

"You two are going to be alone out there. No one's gone near it since the, uh, you know."

We got checked in, going back out to the car to drive to Chamber's Cabin afterward. It was a five minute drive, and when we arrived, we were greeted with the remaining yellow police tape that hadn't been cleaned up.

"Yikes," Janelle said as we moved the one bag we had packed into the room. "I wonder what it looks like inside."

"Hey, you wanted to come to see if a ghost would try to kill us, not to look at the crime scene."

"You're not even a little curious?"

"No. To be honest, this whole thing freaks me out."

"You were fine at home!"

"Yeah, because that was home! Now we're four doors down from where two people died!"

Janelle rolled her eyes. "We'll be out of here by morning, I just want to see if the stories are true."

-

"Janelle," I whispered, almost too scared to move.

"Audrey," she replied, her voice as tense as mine.

"Did you hear that?"

We sat up, reaching out to grab the other's hand for reassurance. It was 1:57 am, and the noise had been happening for a few minutes. The knocking noise from the closet came again, stopping after two knocks.

"Janelle."

"Audrey."

"Do you think someone's in there?"