thirty three

The following day, when Dean was at work, I called Janelle.

"Hello?"

"I think I'm pregnant."

"What?"

"I have a doctor's appointment today to confirm it. Please come with me."

"Audrey..."

"I can't do this alone and I can't ask Dean to come with me."

"Why not? It... It's his kid, right?"

"Of course it is," I snapped. "But I don't want him to be there if they say I'm really pregnant."

"Why not?" she repeated.

"I don't want to be pregnant. Not right now, at least. He seemed so happy though, I can't tell him that."

Janelle sighed. "What time?"

"Twelve forty-five."

"I can't," she said hesitantly. "We have an appointment-"

"Right. Right, of course, you're planning a wedding. I'm sorry. Can- can you keep this to yourself, please?"

"Of course. I'm sorry I can't go... Call me later?"

I nodded, even though she couldn't see me. "Yeah, I will. Thanks, good luck with your appointment."

"You too."

I hung up the phone, pacing across the room. I knew I couldn't handle going to this appointment alone, but I couldn't ask Dean to come with me. He didn't even know I had scheduled the appointment. I bit my thumb nail, my left hand pulling at my hair. I took a deep breath picking up the phone again and holding my breath as it rang.

"Audrey?" he answered.

--

"Dean doesn't know?"

I shook my head. "I'd rather find out I'm not pregnant and tell him that then tell him I'm pregnant and don't want to be." I took a deep breath, exhaling slowly. "Thank you for coming with me. I couldn't have done this alone."

Klaus gave me a sympathetic smile, patting my knee lightly with the hand that wasn't on the steering wheel. "Of course, love."

"Will they even be able to tell?" I asked as we neared the doctor's office. "Is it too soon?"

Klaus shrugged. "I guess we'll find out."

--

The doctor used a lot of medical terms I didn't fully understand, but when she ended with, "In short, you're not pregnant." I didn't care. I smiled, almost laughed, and grabbed Klaus' forearm.

"She can get pregnant though, right?" Klaus asked, clearly as confused as I was by the foreign terms.

The doctor nodded, smiling at the two of us. "She can. I would suggest being more careful if you want to avoid pregnancy. Have you tried birth control?"

"I think this scare was birth control in itself." I said, and she laughed.

"Fair enough. Do you have any more questions?"

Klaus looked at me expectantly, and I shook my head. "I think that's it."

"Alrighty then," she stood up, opening the door. "Remember your options to avoid another scare. I wish you two the best."