three

My knowledge of cars was extremely limited. So when Elijah pulled a cover off one of the cars in his garage, I didn't see the big deal about it- it just looked like a really old, really nice car. Dean, however, was very into it.

"Are all of your cars like this?" Dean asked as he gawked at the car. Elijah nodded, smiling smugly.

"Yeah."

"Can I drive it?" Dean asked hopefully.

"Not if you're going to run someone over," Janelle said, laughing slightly. Dean grimaced.

"Well, if the breaks aren't crappy," he muttered. Elijah laughed.

"Yeah, sure. Here." He tossed Dean the keys. "Knock yourself out."

Janelle ran inside to get her jacket, and Elijah followed her. I stayed in the garage with Dean, watching him as he stared at the car.

"What kind of car is it?" I asked, almost embarrassed that I had to.

"A 1960 Chrysler New Yorker." Dean said simply, not taking his eyes off the car. "Convertible."

I nodded. "Oh."

Dean finally looked away from the white and red car, (the body was white, the top- which apparently came down- was red), and smiled at me. "So, what are these carnivals like?"

I shrugged. "They're just regular carnivals. But they're a lot of fun. I can't believe you've never been to one."

"Oh, I'm not from here," he said.

"Did you just move here?"

"Sure, let's say that," he gave me a half smile that was more of a smirk.

I cocked my head to the side slightly. "What do you mean?"

"We move a lot."

"We?"

"Yeah, we. My brother, Sam, and I move around a lot with our old man."

I nodded again. "How old is Sam?"

"Thirteen."

"And you?"

"Seventeen."

I looked back at the car, not wanting to ask any more questions.

"How 'bout you?"

"Sixteen. Seventeen in two months."

Dean nodded. Before we could make more small talk, Janelle and Elijah came back outside.

"Ready to go?" Janelle asked excitedly.

I nodded, looking at Dean. Dean smiled, nodding towards the car. "Let's go."

--

Dean put the top down as soon as we got out of the garage. I was sitting shot gun with him, while Elijah and Janelle sat together in the back. I turned on the radio, turning it up when I heard Sleeping With Sirens.

"What the hell is this?" Dean almost groaned, turning the radio down.

"Music?" I raised my eyebrows at him, running my hands through my hair, which was flying every which way because of the wind.

"No. No, no, no." he shook his head, turning off the radio.

"That was a good song," Janelle complained from behind me. "Why'd you turn it off?"