03.

The grip of the hand covering her mouth gradually relaxed, allowing her to draw a stifled breath. 

Parting her lips slightly, she intended to call for help, when she felt someone's lips caress her ear, sending a course of shivers down her spine.

"It's me," a soft voice whispered in the darkness.

She could recognize that voice even in a bustling crowd. Her eyes fluttered open to meet the mesmerizing pools of his chocolate-brown eyes.

Instead of settling down, her heart began to pound upon realizing the proximity between them.

The room was filled with pitch darkness. The only source of light was the moon which illuminated the room, casting a gentle glow.

"Took you long enough to find me," he whispered over the silence that engulfed them.

"I always seem to get lost when it comes to you," she wanted to say, to confess, but it felt as if she were tongue-tied. Words always seem trapped, unable to find their way out when he's around.

Despite the darkness of the room, she could make out the corners of his mouth rise as though he understood the unspoken.

Taking her hand in his, he guided her toward the moonlit window through which the soft lunar rays cast a dewy lustre over the forms.

That's when she could finally see his features highlighted by the soft lunar light gazing up at him.

She blinked to get rid of the blur.

His eyes were flickering with fierce passion contradicting his soft yet chiselled features. The corners of his mouth had a hint of a playful, puppy-like charm. It was impressive how effortlessly he could embody two contrasting personas, and she found herself falling for both.

"Jake," she said lowly, breaking the enchanting spell that had concealed the anticipation between the two.

Hearing his name from her lips caused the corners of his mouth to rise once more.

She had met Jake during her sophomore year, along with the other boys, and she could say that they clicked well. Fate seemed to have aligned their paths, as they discovered that they had much in common.

After an unexpected encounter on campus, she began noticing him everywhere— whether it was at the library, fumbling with books as he sat across her or at her favourite coffee shop. She didn't realize until she gradually grew accustomed to his presence around her, that a day without him would seem so bleak and empty.