13.

"Please, don't tell me that you plan on reading all of that. It's already past the downtime," Jake protested as he grew impatient with every passing second. He had never experienced such persistent probing from a girl before, and it was starting to get to him. Fidgety fingers and relentlessly shaking legs. He didn't know what exactly was making him anxious. Was it her? Or the deadline that was coming close by. One week. That's all it takes to build something beautiful and even quicker to estrange all the strings. But he knew if he took matters into his own hands, all would be for nought, so he decided to let her ease into her pace before he slowly takes control over everything.

But it wasn't solely that, even in the midst of the silly game, he couldn't leave her side. Yet, just as in those grim romantics, where the stereotyped protagonists defy their feelings till the very end; the two inevitably rift apart, leading to the estrangement of one's heartstrings. He was tampering with the flames without realizing it, unaware that fate will strike him with a blow so brutal, that its burn would remain for a long time.

Jake clicked his tongue as she gave undue attention to the worn-out pages. 

Resting his hand on her leg, he feigned indifference by turning the pages of a random book he had just found on the table. This gesture was surely enough to drive her mind into a frothing frenzy as he guided his hand at an alarmingly slow pace, caressing her thigh. Blood shot to her heart in a thud as she forgot how to breathe. A rumbling energy surged up to her spine as his cold hand came into contact with her warm flesh. 

The subtle touches and lingering glances. It was a dangerous game she was playing, dancing along the thin line between desire and restraint.

Her heart raced and thundered; her ragged breath catching music to his ears. The corners of his mouth twitched with a contented smile.

He had no intention of going any further, as he merely planned on addling her mind without crossing his bounds. He swiftly removed his hand as her mind slowly delved into mayhem. She glanced to see a rather unfazed expression on his face as if he didn't just attempt to drive her off the edges.

"I swear Jake if you don't keep your hands to yourself━"

"Hush, baby," Jake whispered, the smile of pleasure never leaving his face as he brushed his thumb over her bottom lip, "We're in the library. You are going to get us kicked out." 

Lily was sorely tempted to retort but she bite her tongue, reverting to the scattered books around her on the table. He searched her face for any sort of peculiarity but there was none. Instead, it was replaced with regression; an emotion he knew of too well.

Jake noticed this and edged his chair closer to her, his head resting in the nook of her neck as he spoke, the tinge of humour long gone from his tone, "Hey, don't be upset. I was just messing with you."

The moment, her body made contact with his, she was overcome with a sense of vellichor━ not sure if it was from the books or his presence, evoking emotions within her.

A smile made its way to her lips as she let him stay in that position, basking in his warmth and savouring every moment of his presence. She liked that. 

The lingering silence spoke volumes, words unspoken but understood. Lily's fingers intertwined with Jake's, their hands finding solace in each other's grasp. The barriers that held them back seemed to slowly dissolve, paving the way for something new and profound.

Unbeknownst to her, she was getting too attached to the feeling before she even realized it.