08.

To say that Lily was overwhelmed would be an understatement; she had been over cloud nine since their little impromptu confession. She wasn't sure if Jake had proposed that in the heat of the moment or if he truly felt that way. Her subconscious, which loved to make the most bizarre decisions, was to blame.

After all, how bad could it possibly be? He might stop loving her or worse, ridicule her for wearing her heart on her sleeve for him as though she had never been loved before. But she didn't deem him as callous and incorrigible as they portray him. 

They might act rough on the edges, but she can see right through them. They are wearing serrated chokers around their necks ━ sentiments, as petty as the word seems, may become one's conviction. The credibility is, however, constantly in question.

She cringed at the 'sophisticated' mesh of her illogical thoughts. 

By the time, the newly-passionate couple descended the stairs, there was barely a soul to be seen. The living room that was previously filled with chatters and laughter was now eerily quiet and deserted. She was sure she had left them all in the lounge before deciding to go on her little 'venture'. Perhaps they got bored waiting and left.

"Where are you taking me?"

"Well, our little make-out session earlier certainly had me floating on cloud ten. You are absolutely intoxicating, Lily. I need to cool off."  Jake replied with a playful grin, his words carrying a hint of mischief. Warmth evaded her cheeks upon realizing his implications. She knew she'd have to get used to his suave advances at meteoric banters.

She was taken aback to see Jay standing in the kitchen with Ni-Ki who was seemingly engrossed in a conversation with him. She gazed up at Jake to see him rather unfazed.

Their necks jerked up at the sounds of the footsteps.

They stopped.

Before eyeing them intently.

Jay's lips twisted in a smirk as his eyes trailed to an obvious purple hue on the girl's neck. Checkmate!

"Well, well, what do we have here? The dynamic duo returns!"

Jake poured himself a glass of water and leaned against the countertop, sipping his water in slow swallows. She stood there under their intimidating gazes, holding her breath as if breathing a little louder will break the stillness of the atmosphere. She felt nervous for no reason yet she was curious to see their reaction if Jake ever decides to disclose their little secret.

Tell them what exactly? She wasn't sure herself. It wasn't some sort of sacred truth but she didn't intend to accentuate their relationship that early, as for now. She had to speak with Jake first.

"Where's everyone?"  Jake ignored his previous remarks, looking around the near-empty kitchen.

"Probably at the dorms by now," Jay replied nonchalantly.

Shifting his gaze to Lily who was stiff like a rock, he slyly smirked with a mischievous gleam in his eyes before continuing, "You guys took your sweet time. We were starting to think you had eloped!"

Jake narrowed his eyes at Jay and with a mock smirk of his own, he retorted, "Oh come on, Jay can't you see the blushing bride right in front of you?"

One glare from Lily was enough to stop the running witty mouths from making any more teasing exchanges that could give away her tomato cheeks, betraying her bashfulness.

Ni-Ki turned his attention towards the timid form and cheekily grinned at the girl who was unusually quiet.

"So, what have you two been up to?"

"Nothing," she said as she picked at the skin on the side of her thumb that fumbled with the hem of her shirt before Jake grabbed her hand and gave it a comforting squeeze. He could sense her anxiousness upon the youngest's inquiry.

"Oh yeah? You sure?" Ni-Ki wriggled her brows at their interlaced hands.

One thing that she detested was being the centre of attention. She would instantly be pulled back to the memories of an old incident when she felt humiliated, slighted and everything you could name. Every time she was met with eyes filled with pathos for her, she hated herself even more. Betrayed by her loved ones, it was a nightmare she wished she would never have to live through again.

"Ni-Ki, stop teasing her," Jay who was rummaging through the cabinets muttered.

Ignoring the older's remarks, he continued to probe the bashful girl despite Jake's glares.

"Did you guys smoo━ OW," Jay intervened, smacking the youngest's head, whose mouth was running prickly absurd notions with no intention of stopping anytime soon.

"Be gentle with me or I'll have Heeseung call you down,"  the pitch-black haired warned the older, who appeared annoyed and unfazed by his feeble attempts of threatening him.

"Do as you please." 

"I'll be back soon after dropping her off," Jake announced, unwilling to put up with their pestering anymore.

"Shall we?" he asked, looking at the girl in his arms and offering her an inviting smile.