chapter nine

My mind is a blur...
Why am I feeling so weak? I know I'm young but... I was trained to be the best...
  So why am suddenly getting weaker, my head is hurting but I need to keep working, fighting...
being the best...
  I need to push harder...

   Mumbles roamed around code 001 head, she knew people were talking but she couldn't quite tell who. She woke up in what she calculated was the unit girls' room "code 001!" Kylie was sitting at the edge of her bed "where am I?" code 001 recognised her surroundings but she couldn't quite tell where she was, it looked like the rooms but her bed was too low "you're at the recuperation centre" Kylie said, code 001 shot up alarming Kylie "code 001! You're not supposed to get up, you're still tired and you are injured!" Kylie tried calming code 001 up but it was no use she got up from her bed and left, she was still wearing her gown but it didn't matter she just walked back to the main room "did little Coal get lost?" a voice asked from behind her "stop calling me that!" code 001 had lost her patience with these humans, it was getting annoying "what are you going to do?" the voice that code 001 had discovered was one of the nearly boys teased "I will show you!" code 001 was ready to fight the boy but with one punch she was on the floor with a bleeding nose "hey bitch! Come fight someone your own size!" Eva called from a corner of the corridor "oh hell nah! No one is messing with code 001!" Austin joined her, and they both came running at the boy "what are some kid like you going to-" Austin cut his circulation putting him into a short coma "shit! Code 001!" Eva looked at the girl that had gotten up and now was wiping the blood on her nose "that's one broken nose" Austin commented, code 001 moved her nose a bit until it made a cracking noise "ew! What was that?!" Austin asked in disgust "she just fixed her nose with her own hands" Eva explained in admiration "let's keep this one between us" code 001 tried leaving but Eva grabbed her by the wrist "hell nah, you're going back to that centre a way or another". Annoyingly for code 001 she was dragged back to the recuperation centre where Kylie could be found sitting at the edge of her bed obviously distressed "look who we found!" Eva pushed code 001 in Kylie's direction "oh code 001!" Kylie hugged code 001 alarming her as she was not used to this type of contact "now lay your ass down on that bed!" Eva ordered "language!" Kylie warned making Eva roll her eyes "now code 001 get some proper rest" Kylie tucked code 001 in her bed confusing the girl even more but she had no time to ask anything as the trio quickly left.

   As the unit waited for code 001 recovery they all relaxed in the main room, "hey Abbey! When are we having our next mission with Unit.1?" Alex asked Abbey that was sitting on the island hearing some music with her headphones on, Abbey didn't answer as she couldn't hear him "she can't hear you but it's like in two weeks, but what's your big interest in Unit.1, why do you ask? Are there any pretty girls there?" Austin questioned "shut up man! I was just curious!" Alex threw one of the couch cousins in Austin's face "I don't get what's your guy's thing with the girls from the other units" Kylie wasn't impressed with the boy's topic of conversation "we get it, Kylie! We all know you and Austin are dating so please get a room!" Alex complained "we are not dating! She's not even my type!" Austin disagreed with his friend "picky! It's not like you're getting all the gals out there!" Eva teased making Austin blush in embarrassment "wow Eva like you have every boy wrapped around your finger" Alex shot back "no, but I do have the girls" Eva replied full of attitude, Abbey started violently laughing as she had taken off her headphones "what? Skirts are just more attractive" Eva winked at the boys that were slightly annoyed "we get it!" Austin stuffed his face in the pillow making Alex chuckled "don't worry Austin, I know you will find the right girl one day!" Kylie said as she tried to cheer the boy up, Alex, Eva and Abbey shared a look but said nothing "welp I'm going out for a bit!" Alex announced awkwardly "see you, don't forget curfew" Abbey warned.

   Alex went to the roof, it was a calm place as the wind was soft and there was no noise except for the leaves that played with the breeze and Alex's breathing, he sat at the edge admiring the full moon that thrived with the stars. Steps could be heard coming in his direction but he didn't even look to see who it was "hey loser" Eva sat next to him holding two tiny bottles of some liquid "hey..." he said in a sad tone "want some?" She offered one of the bottles "what is it?" Alex was obviously sad so Eva was not being so aggressive "beer" she answered with no shame "robbing or trading?" he wasn't surprised as there wasn't much more to expect from Eva "robbing, want some?" Eva was one of the best when it came to sneaking into places sometimes they wondered if she was helping the organisation, Alex nodded and grabbed the bottle "how long have you been out?" He asked plainly as he sipped on his drink "wha- oh, some years now... about six but I've known since I was about nine" Eva and Alex were the eldest of the unit both nearly being sixteen that's why they normally would talk alone "that's quite some time, you have some courage" Alex complimented "yeah... the first few years were shit but after some time I learned I need to stand up for myself" Eva admitted, "who was the first one to know?" He asked "I think it was Abbey at the home, what about you? Because you're definitely not straight" Eva always had her suspicions about Alex but the topic was nether touched so she never said anything.