pressure

I went up to EJ's locker first thing in the morning like I do every morning.

"Hey, baby." I said, kissing him on the cheek.
"How are you?" I asked.

"I'm okay...you?"

"I'm doing good. 3 AP tests today, though, so that's great."

"I know, me too." He kissed me on the forehead. "Good luck."

"You too." I said as we both went our separate directions. EJ had been acting really distant recently, and I didn't know why. Was something going on at home?

-

The next class I had with EJ was Honors Bio. I sat down next to him. I could see the bags under his eyes.

"Baby, you look so tired. You need more rest" I said.

"Yeah, well, I am, so..." he said in an annoyed tone looking up from his computer.

I didn't respond as he processed what he just said, "oh, geez. I'm sorry y/n...I didn't..."

I smiled softly, "it's okay."

"No, it's not. I shouldn't have spoken to you like that."

I took his hand, "it's really okay, ej. I understand that you're stressed." I said, leaning my head against his arm. "Do you wanna hang out after school?" I asked him.

"I want to, but I've just got so much work-"

"EJ, it's the weekend. Let's relax. It'd be good for you."

"Yeah," he nodded, "okay." He said as the teacher came in and class started.

-

I heard a knock on my door as I went to get it. I was just going to let EJ vent and relax. He really needs it. I can tell. He went through a slump like this last year. He's just really stressed. But he'll be okay.

"Hey." EJ said, as I went on my tiptoes to hug him.

"Hey." I replied, "let's go upstairs and talk." He nodded as I grabbed his hand and let him upstairs.

We got to my room as he plopped onto my bed and I laid next to him. I put my arms around him, "please tell me what's wrong."

"Y/N, it's nothing."

"It's something."

He laughed, "you know me so well..."

"Yup, now what's up."

"It's just..." he sighed, "everything."

"Go on..."

"Well of course school, waterpolo, my job, popularity, and my parents are not getting along great." He started crying softly, "I feel like a failure if I can't stay put together."

"Hey, hey, you are not a failure EJ Caswell. Never ever, would I think that you are a failure. School is always going to be stressful, but we're almost done and then we can just cuddle all summer long."

He laughed softly as I continued, "if waterpolo is too stressful, you should step down from captain. You've got a ton on your plate, and no one would blame you if you did."

"My coach would."

"Who cares what Coach Thomas thinks. We're leaving EHS in a few months."

"True. You're good at this."

"Thanks, now let me go on. Your job, it's okay to take less shifts, again, you have a ton going on. Popularity, well just hang out with me and your status will go down." I laughed.

He rolled his eyes, "you're funny."

"And your parents, well I don't have anything for that except 'I'm sorry'. Just try to ignore it. Hang out here. Talk to them about it."

"Thank Y/N. You're sweet." He kissed me on the forehead.

"You're sweet too, babes."

It was silent for a few moments until he smiled and turned to me, "Let's watch a rom-com."

I grinned, "really??" He doesn't like rom-coms. I just force him to watch them sometimes.

He chuckled, "yeah."

"I love you."

"I love you too Y/N."