Best friends

Ricky, EJ, and I were at a smoothie shop for breakfast. Ricky was slurping his smoothie. I laughed, "shut up." I said punching him gently.

"Bro, you almost made me choke on my smoothie." Ricky said, with offense lacing his tone.

"Good." I said simply. I was kidding of course. I've been friends with these guys since kindergarten. We're about to be freshman in college. I know, right? That's a crazy long friendship. I love them both. Ricky's like a brother to me. And then there's EJ. EJ is a great guy. He's sweet, talented, loving, and cute. He's very cute.

EJ snickered at my comment and gave me a fist bump, "good one, y/n."

"I know, I'm such a comedian." I smiled as he gave me a subtle wink from across the table. Like I said - very cute.

We continued slurping our smoothies as I said, "my mom wants me to have you both over for dinner before we leave for college."

"We leave in like 2 months." Ricky snorted, "we've got time."

"Just wanted to warn you." I shrugged. "Do you guys wanna do something after this?"

"Can't. I'm hanging out with Nini." Ricky said.

I rolled my eyes and so did ej. They're always hanging out. He hangs out more with Nini than us now. I guess it's fine, because ej and I still hang out all the time.

"Okay, eej-do you wanna hang out?"

"Sounds like a plan." He grinned. He's got the cutest smile.

-

*a few hours later*

"okay-" EJ said as his voice cracked.

I snorted. "oKaY." I said mimicking his voice.

He rolled his eyes, "y/n, I'm actually trying to be serious for once."

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry." I said, leaning my head on his shoulder, "continue." I smiled.

"Y/n...I gotta be honest. And like-if you don't feel the same way you can totally just tell me because I don't want to ruin our like 10-year friendship." He said, speeding up every word.

I laughed, "eej-" I said looking into his eyes, "just tell me."

"I like you, y/n." He blurted out.

My eyes widened, "oh-uh-you-you like me?" I stuttered out.

EJ sighed and shook his head, "you don't feel the same way."

"EJ, I just-"

"It's okay y/n. I get it." He sighed, getting up off of the couch. "I'm gonna head out."

I felt a lump in my throat, "eej, wait-"

"You're good, y/n. We're good. See you at school on Monday." He walked over to the door and let himself out. I buried my face into the pillows on the couch and cried. Did I just lose one of my best friends?

 Did I just lose one of my best friends?