Soup Kitchen

"Hey bubs." My boyfriend said to me, leaning on the locker next to mine.

I unlocked my locker, "hi baby." I smiled at him.

"So I was wondering if this weekend you wanted to go to the soup kitchen to volunteer? Usually the waterpolo guys go on Saturday mornings, but they've got some basketball training this Saturday. So, I wanted to ask if you wanted to go?"

I smiled, "EJ, you're so sweet. I would love to volunteer with you."

"Great! I'll pick you up on Saturday at like 8."

I gave him a thumbs up and he gave me a peace sign as we both walked our separate ways.

-

Saturday

EJ drove up to my house and honked the horn with a laugh. I ran downstairs and said 'bye' to my parents.

"Hey, cutie." I smiled, getting into his car.

"Hi baby." He grinned. He started driving once I was buckled in, and said, "I'm so excited!!"

"I'm glad! I think it'll be nice. I haven't volunteered in a while."

"Yeah. I try to do it every Saturday to give back."

"You know, my parents were so excited when I told them what I was doing with you."

He giggled, "I'm glad! Wanna make a good impression on them."

"EJ, they love you." I laughed. They really do. Usually they wouldn't want me to have a high school boyfriend, but they made an exception for him.

"That's good." He smiled. We made it to the soup kitchen where there was a line out of the door. It made me really sad. I didn't realize so many people struggled with not having enough food, just here in Salt Lake. EJ read my mind as he said, "I know. It's hard the first time."

He opened my door and grabbed my hand as we went inside the soup kitchen. EJ greeted some people. It's really nice that he had gotten to know these people.

"McKayla! I have brought my girlfriend, y/n!" EJ said to a girl probably a few years older than us. Probably the manager or main volunteer of this kitchen.

"Nice to meet you, y/n!" She said to me. "EJ talks about you constantly."

I giggled, "nice to meet you too! I am ready to do some volunteering!"

"Great! I like you already!" She smiled. "EJ, y/n you guys can go serve. We've got a few people already making food, so you guys can serve."

"Yes!" EJ grinned, "serving is so much better, y/n."

"Good, good." I smiled. He gets so excited about the smallest things. Pretty sure he's the best person in the world.

EJ took my hand again and walked me over to where there was tons of food. We got behind the counter and got ready to serve.

I smiled as EJ made easy conversation with the customers.

"Hey, Mrs. Smith! How are you doing today?" He asked an older lady.

"Pretty good, EJ." She said, softly. "Who's this pretty girl next to you?"

He chuckled, "this is my girlfriend, y/n! She's volunteering with me today."

"Oh, you're both lovely. Bless your souls for coming down here and helping us." Mrs. Smith smiled.

EJ smiled as he handed her a plate that he had made during their conversation, "take care of yourself, Mrs. Smith."

She nodded simply and walked over to a table.

EJ and I made more plates and handed them out to everyone and after 2 hours, we finished. We washed our hands and he kissed my hand gently and held it.

We walked out of the kitchen swinging our arms as he said, "you're perfect."

"No, you are. EJ, I love you so much. You talked to every person in there like they were-like-family to you. You were so kind and didn't treat them differently because of their situation. You're...amazing eej."

He blushed, "aww, thank you y/n. I love all those people. They have a really cool perspective on life."

"Yeah, makes sense." I smiled. We got into the car and he drove me home. I kissed his lips gently and said, "love you, baby." I got out of his car.

"Love you too, y/n." He smiled.

a/n: 5K YALL???!!! OMG THIS IS TOO MUCH IM CRYING!! THIS IS MY MOST POPULAR BOOK AND I OWE IT ALL TO YOUUU