twenty three

Danielle went with John to the hospital as Elena got there to see what's going on. The redhead looked at her reflection and sighed. "Do you know what happened?"

"No." She says. "I just walked in when he screamed out."

"Thank you."

The redhead saw Bonnie. "What's going on?" She asked.

"Caroline is in surgery. They don't think she will make it."

Danielle covered her mouth with tears. Katherine is back, Damon almost died, and now her best friend might die. Damon arrived as he heard Bonnie talking to Danielle. "Do you know a spell to save her?"

"She hasn't learnt it yet." Danielle turned and blushed as she saw Damon. "Haven't you?"

"No."

"Do something." Danielle asked. "I'm not losing my best friend."

"I can give her blood."

"Do it."

"If I do this, we call it even." Damon says.

"You'll do it for Danielle."

Danielle looked at Damon as Bonnie left. "We need to talk about the kiss and Kath..."

"Why are you here?" Jenna cut her off.

"John. I rode with him here." She says. "I'm heading home now."

Damon watched the redhead walk away as he went to give Caroline blood.
~~~
Danielle was trying to wrap her head around Katherine being back. She walked in to see Elena acting out over Jeremy. "What's going on?" She asked as Damon walked in behind her.

"Jeremy tried to kill himself to turn."

Danielle was shocked. "Okay. Did anything else happen besides Katherine being excited over seeing me?"

"Katherine was here?"

"Yeah. What was she wanting?"

"I don't know, but she saw something." Stefan says. "What did she see?"

Danielle's face turned as red as her hair as Elena looked at her sister. "Danielle? What did Katherine see?"

Instead of answering she walked to the door as Damon looked at her then back at Elena and Stefan. "Just to put a frown on your faces, we kissed."

Elena looked at Danielle as she looked at Damon with a glare. "You kissed my sister?"

The redhead turned around. "Let's not talk about this because we have another problem. Katherine." She tells them. "We need to find out why she is back. Despite the bad feeling at the pit of my stomach."

Damon knew that Danielle was ignoring the kiss and wondered how she felt about him. The redhead looked at Damon as they knew that they would need answers and for once, Danielle hopes no one tells Katherine about Damon's blood being in Caroline's system.
~~~
Danielle went to the hospital to see Caroline. Apparently, she was the first one to be there as she was avoiding Damon. She saw the blonde sitting there watching tv. "Hey." Caroline looked at her. "I need to talk to you."

"Okay. What is it?"

"Damon and I kissed."

Caroline looked at her shocked that she actually let Damon kiss her. "Explain how it happened."

"It was a heat of the moment. Everything went bad last night and he almost died." She explains. "I guess when I saw him alive and felt relived, I kissed him."

Caroline laughed. "Danielle Gilbert, do you know hear yourself. You have feelings for the ass."

Danielle didn't know what to say. It was true she was starting to catch feelings for Damon without even knowing it. The redhead looked at Caroline. "I don't know what to do." She says. "Everything is so complicated and there's you here..."

"Don't worry about me." Caroline says. "You need to start thinking about yourself. And if you really are catching feelings for him, despite how much I hate him, I want you to be happy."

"But..."    

"Danielle, figure out where your heart is taking you."

The redhead nodded. She stood up and hugged her friend. "I will see you later."

"Bye."
~~~
Sometime that night, Danielle sat reading as she felt a presence in her room. "Damon, why are you here?"

Damon didn't say a word as he walked over to Danielle and kissed her. Danielle was shocked, but she kissed him back. She realized what she was doing and pushed him away. "Admit it, Danielle, you like me."

"Damon, you're drunk. What the hell happened?"

"I spoke to Katherine." He says as he sat down. "She never loved me."

Danielle rolled her eyes. "I tried to tell you, but you can't just come into my room unannounced." She tells him. "I don't have feelings for you."

"That's a lie. Just to think, I was starting to care." He says.

"Damon..."

"Hey, Dani, let's watch a movie."

Damon smirked causing Dani to run just for Damon to snap Jeremy's neck. She screamed as she held her brother as she looked up at Damon with her heartbroken. Damon saw the look on her face before leaving. He hurt her not thinking of the pain he just caused for himself.