twenty four

Waking up from her dream, Danielle had a very bad feeling about why Katherine was back and she was going to figure it all out. She heard her sister talking about someone she doesn't want to talk about because he could have killed her brother because she didn't really know where her feelings lie.

The redhead got out of bed and dialed Caroline's number, but no answer. She was also worried about her best friend. "Danielle?"

"Please keep the "D" word out of the conversations today. I don't want to talk about him."

"What happened?"

"I don't know what my feelings are for....him." She says as she got out of bed and over to her closet. "He hurt me the most when he tried to kill my brother. You don't do that."

Elena sat down on her bed as the redhead started getting dressed. "Maybe he didn't know about the ring." She says. "I think you need to look into your heart to see if you really love him. Not because of who you look like and her memories, but Danielle Gilbert. The one Damon fell in love with."

"That's the thing." She says looking at her sister. "He is still latching onto Katherine. Does he really love me?"

Elena went to say something, but her sister was gone. Shaking her head, the other Gilbert went to check on Jeremy.
~~~
At school, Elena and Bonnie were talking about what Damon did, but they wouldn't say a word around Danielle. She swore of from hearing the name, Damon. "We know Danielle." Bonnie says. "The girl does have feelings for Damon, but she's going to fight it."

"That's Danielle for you."

"Look how long it took for her to date Tyler."

"She dumped him the moment she caught Vicki giving him drugs and kissing him." Elena says. "She's afraid that she will be hurt again and she made a point this morning. Damon still is clinging onto Katherine. Till he realizes that Katherine never loved him."

Damon now understood why Danielle refuses to confess her feelings. Because she knows that he still has feelings for Katherine even though he was falling more in love with the redhead. Just like it was with Danielle Pierce, but it was too late to tell her. It's not for him. He will do everything to make sure that she survives.

Danielle looked at what her sister was doing and sighed. This probably won't suit Caroline's taste. At all.
~~~
Later that night, Danielle was walking around thinking about Caroline. She was worried all because Damon told her that he has to kill Caroline because she turned. She stopped seeing Caroline feeding off a guy. "Caroline?" She says causing Caroline to look at her.

"Dani, what is happening to me?'

"Okay." She says as she walked closer. "You have to trust me."

"Don't come any closer."

Bonnie and Elena arrived, but Danielle did the unthinkable and pushed Caroline out of the way. Damon stopped mid air with a tent stake and glared at the redhead. "You know she has to die."

"No she doesn't." Danielle says. "Elena, help her."

Bonnie noticed the tense glaring between the two. She walked away as she didn't like the tension. Damon put the stake down and looked at her. "She can't handle this life."

"You don't know Caroline Forbes." She tells him. "I know my best friend and I will stand here and keep her safe from you. Unless you want to hurt me again the second time."

Damon watched the redhead go to her friend. He couldn't hurt her again. Damon decided that he was going to prove to Danielle that he actually loves her. Even if it means changing the way he acts. Something tells him that decision would be a mistake.