Chapter 8) First Fight

*Andrew's POV*

We came into her house a few minutes ago.

'Oh, I see you got your phone back. Where was it? Who had it?' Shay questioned just as I took out the blue-cased iPhone out of my jeans pocket to check the time. Her father usually comes home late, we were safe.

'Yeah, I found it, but I'll explain that story later. Let's eat.' I tried to avoid the topic at the moment to give myself a chance to gather my story together, and excluding the Kendall part.

'You have so many things to explain.' She stood in front of me with her hair still in place, arms crossed.

'I know.' I answered a bit too sternly, but I don't think she registered my tone.

'So,' she started off. 'I am a bit more concerned by your bruised lip than the attempt to break up with me. How did that happen? Did someone hit you?' I didn't answer. 'Why did you lie to me?'

Even though her questions bombarded my mind, I still played it off with a smile. 'I already told you, I--'

'No.' Ohhhh she was irritated. 'I do not believe that story. If you tell me what happened to your face, I'll leave you alone. You know, recently you've been isolating yourself and I understand that you may not want to talk but Andrew Broker, starting a lying game is just not going to cut it with me.' At this point, she was out of breath, her voice just a pitch higher with that hint of an attitude that set me off.

'Would you just give me a chance to sort my thoughts first? So many things happened but you're just pressing my thinking capacity right now.' I knew that I said it rudely but I was thinking she would get the hint to give me a moment.

'Maybe you can just keep it a secret for a year or two, then tell me.' That hit home. 'All I asked you was one thing Andrew.' She said in a knowing tone. How dare she? I was placing my trust in her and she would creatively place my pain in such a statement and say it to me?

'Well Shailene, I'm also asking you one thing.' I don't think I knew what I was about to say, everything was rushing out, these words, so fast.

'What. You didn't even ask me anything.' Confused.

'Yes, I'm asking you to shut up!' I found myself shouting. I don't know why though. I was more mad at myself than Shay. Her eyes were currently piercing mine, ice cold, expressionless. She pressed to find a reason for my current condition. She couldn't know just yet how Kendall and I were related, and I did not have intentions of her finding that out any time soon. I needed to know some things first, whether it ends well or not.

I wouldn't be able to take it, all the questions...and she had already started asking. I knew I was strong now, and the last thing I wanted was any hint of pity.

She now sat cross-legged on the sofa, absorbing my behavior with a still barely readable expression, as I held my face in my palms, pressing my sanity to sit straight. She didn't deserve all this from me, just as I didn't deserve her.

*Shailene's POV*

Unbelievable. All I wanted to know was what happened. It really couldn't be that hard to tell me that. I just cared. Just when I said 'maybe you can just keep it a secret for a year or two', I thought maybe I shouldn't have. I should not have said that. I saw the emotions flicker across his face when I did. I couldn't believe myself but he was acting so strange lately and I wish he would just stop avoiding the topic and just say it to me straight, but I didn't think that would be happening any time soon.

It's been five minutes. His hands were still currently pressed to his face and body turned slightly in the other direction, and it was as if he was attempting to dent his features in and I knew he was angry, but I didn't care....I'm lying. I really did care but this was all ridiculous.

Maybe I should just apologise and tell him to forget about it. It wasn't worth fighting over things that can't be changed. I stood up and attempted to pry his hands off his face. He wasn't crying. I leaned on him, still trying to pull his hands away. Probably this was his way of trying not to hit something.

'Andrew...' He didn't budge. I wrapped my arms around his waist, trying to push his hands away with my head. When he finally moved them, I didn't see is face as my head was buried in his chest when he exhaled heavily. His arms were on my shoulders and I could feel he was about to hug me back when at the same time, I heard the front door swing open, hard.

He gently shoved me away before I could even think to move from my position.

I looked at him and he looked at me as we turned to see who was about to enter. There was no way Andrew could run to hide at this point, because looking at us, was my father who had already walked through the door.