Chapter 17- Decisions

*Kendall's POV*

I woke up on the sofa in my apartment, hung over with my feelings. Before I could think any further, I heard my phone vibrating on the table. The clock on the wall over the TV said it was half eleven. Nice, lunch time.

I peeked over to see who it was. Jared. Didn't he already tell me two days? Only one has passed by. What did he want...for me to help him pick out a suit to get married in? Yeah right. I picked it up.

Before I could say hello, he spoke. 'One more day. Get the girl here with your car. Martha got her father under control. Miss Haynes spoke to me earlier, she would have Andrew here in time. Don't mess things up. Do you hear me Kendall?'

'I heard you sir.'

'Tomorrow evening, 6pm. At the front building you had departed from.'

He hung up. He was starting to bother me.

I was really confused right now. Why did they want Shay to be a part of this? They could've just gotten Andrew by force and gotten it done and over with but I really don't know why all this had to be happening at the same time.

Last night, with Shay, everything was so calm. I really liked it. I wished that everyday of my life could be like that. She was so calming, I forgot about everything when I was with her. It was just the way she was trying to bring out my inner good qualities. That's what got me trapped in her pleasant presence. But, I had to do what I had to do in order to live. I didn't want to suffer Andrew's fate tomorrow or get the punishment...or even worse may happen.

I had two minds right now. I wasn't sure if to tell Shay to forget about me and help Andrew escape, or just go with it to continue what I really came here for.

I was beginning to understand the freedom that Andrew felt. I was so deep into the thoughts I think it would have been jealousy. But no, it was actually admiration. I was slowly beginning to resent myself for having him get the punishment, which probably what drove him to do what he did in the first place.
It was only because such soft activities like poetry, was against our business rules.

But then again, it was probably a good thing he did what he did, or else he wouldn't have felt this kind of freedom. My younger brother has certainly left a mark on my mind now.

Our life was apparently supposed to be hard work and training, no real life pleasures, unless you call destroying other people's lives a pleasure....as Jared and the rest of the family clearly did.

I had a mental moment of silence for the lady, Sabrina, who was going to marry him. Silly woman to be interested in him and his business. At least she knew right? One thing I liked about her though, was that she made him think things over, like his plan to send me out on this mission thing. I only got a chance to do this because of her.

I was secretly hoping that he would change his life around because of her and appreciate what life really was supposed to be... And appreciate us too.

For once since I came here, I had absolutely no plan. I was lost, confused and trapped between my feelings. Yes, I realized that feelings existed.

I had to think now. What was I to do? It was amazing and weird at the same time, how mind could just be changed totally. It's like I just entered a whole new world, different views....like a new life.

In fact, I liked that fact that I could still breathe oxygen and not poison at Jared's torture chambers so, I had to do what I had to do.

*Shailene's POV*

It was only about time I got out the house for the day. I couldn't stop thinking about what had happened last night. It felt so unreal, I almost mistook it for a dream until I saw the window still open.

I was determined to get answers from Andrew today, or else I would call it quits, and mean it this time. I don't think it was right that he showed me such brutal and questioning things, and I just had to stand back, accepting lies and denial. I had to try to keep my sanity in control and try not to break down because I don't think I ever did anything to deserve this kind of mental torture. I only wanted to know so that we could bear our struggles together.

There was just something about Kendall though, that enlightened me to confront Andrew about our sudden twist.

It's almost like those movies where you unknowingly have a serial killer husband and he goes about doing things and you're being questioned about it even though you're clueless. Except he was my (soon to be ex) boyfriend and he wasn't a serial killer and the person questioning me was my mind and all the obvious signs of hiding things from me that I've noticed, were bouncing around the walls off my mind.

There was just a realization that I didn't have to imprison my mind.

I was mentally prepping to have a make it or break it talk with Andrew when I heard a knock on the door.

I ran across to open it as I was currently in the kitchen looking for food while thinking over things to say to Andrew in my head.

I was greeted by a cheerful smile on a face I had grown to like a lot in two weeks. 'Hi!' He gleamed.

I laughed softly. 'Hello there, what brings you by?'

'Well um..I wanted to talk to you.' He seemed a bit nervous all of a sudden. I guess I'll have to postpone my thoughts for a little while.

'Well,' I said. 'I'm all ears.' I stepped back so that he could gain access into my house.

He started to speak. 'So, um...'

'Why are you so nervous? I don't bite.'

He laughed. 'Well, it's about last night...' He trailed off.

'Oh, about that, I'm sorry. You can just try to forget it happened I-' I got so lost in my ramblings, thinking that he might tell me it was a big mistake when it really hadn't felt like one. It felt more like a fairytale....unreal.

'No, Shay,' he smiled. 'Don't apologize for something so ...life changing.'

Life changing? More like sneaky if you ask me. But that's the thing. I've grown so used to rules and carrying on with things the way it 'supposed' to be done. But last night....

'Don't look so skeptical. Look, I understand if you're gonna cut me off. I knew you had a boyfriend, I shouldn't have started it.' He was looking at me now, directly.

The stare was intense. I believe he was waiting on me to say something.

'You're saying that you shouldn't have started it...but didn't you want to?'

He looked at me carefully, probably thinking about what he was going to say next. 'Yes, I did want to but...you don't think it was wrong?'

'It was wrong but I was awakened, it's like I-' He cut me off, sounding distressed.

'Shailene...' Oh my, he was probably going to tell me to shut up now. 'I just, it's so hard to explain. Where do I start?'

'Take your time, I'm listening.' I was just waiting to hear what he was going to say. I was a little scared at his sudden mood change.

He began. 'When we had that question session last night, the way you talked to me...you were actually interested in who I was. My family is a little...I don't know how to explain it. It's like...nobody really cares about who I am.'

'Oh Kendall..' I sat next to him on the long sofa and rest a comforting hand on his shoulder. 'Are you going to cry? Please don't.'

He looked really depressed. It was the way he was just staring into nothing. 'Hey.' I shook his shoulder to get him out of his lost state, until he looked at me. 'I'm really glad you're opened up to finding yourself now and I'll always be your friend okay?'

He forced a smile until I could see his features loosen up. He turned to face me and engulfed me in his arms. A few seconds into the hug, he loosened up and we pulled away. He was once again, a bit to close for friendly contact and he just stayed there, until he said something that had my mind reeling a bit.

'There's just one thing...' He began.

'What is it?' I awaited, with his face less than an inch away from mine.

'Friends don't kiss each other like that.'