One ~ Please, Master. Take me back.

T/W attempted assault. Please take care reading <3 

Three years earlier

Nyx Knight was a bad influence. 

Every report card her parents received shared that delightful tidbit in some euphemistic form. 

'Nyx is a talented student but tends to disrupt the class. Nyx can sometimes encourage other students to break the rules,' or her favourite, 'Miss Knight, would be a more successful student if she focused more on her studies and less on her peers.'

All total bullshit.

Any time her parents questioned her, she gave the same answers. "I don't even talk in class, and I don't know why that teacher always picks on me."

Despite their generally understanding nature, by her final year, they confronted her with exasperation.

"Seriously, hun. What are you doing? Your grades are perfect, so why are all the teachers saying you are causing trouble in the class?" her dad said opposite her at the dining table, a furrow between his brows.

"Your teacher said that the other honour students in your class are flunking," her mother added.

Nyx swallowed her mouthful of toast and rubbed the crumbs off her fingers with a frown. "I swear, I'm just doing the work, Dad. It's not my fault the other kids aren't doing well."

Ever the softie, her father gave up the lame attempt at an intervention while her mother held firm for a moment longer. "Then why are the ones failing always sitting next to you?" she said, leaning against the marble counter.

Withholding a grumble, Nyx tilted her head at her mother's tightly folded arms."How is that my fault?" She slotted her final piece of crust between her teeth before muttering under her breath, "I'm glad they're failing." 

Her mother clicked her tongue and threw a dishtowel at her daughter's lap. "I heard that, Nyx. Tell me the truth."

The truth? I wish... 

She couldn't tell her mother she had a strange ability to see souls or that said ability made the situation at hand entirely 'her fault'. Nor could she mention she was capable of manipulating anyone to be the worst version of themselves with a simple touch of her hand.

"They're honestly dickheads, mum. They don't deserve all the special treatment they get."

"Nyx!"

She got up from the table and put her plate in the sink as she defended herself.

"What? They're bullies and get away with it because they're smart. You should hear them in class. It's like they enjoy making everyone else feel stupid. One of them, Declan, told a girl her reason for being 'slutty' is that her dad abandoned her. In class, in front of the teacher, and he didn't even get written up for it."

"He actually called her slutty?"

"Daniel-"

"Yes! Verbatim."

Her father cast his wife a withering look before telling Nyx to head off to school.

"Daniel, we aren't finished-"

"Kathryn, darling. She's done nothing wrong. Just let her be. There are only a few more days of the year left anyway."

"Don't Kathryn darling me-"

Nyx rushed from the room as she heard her mother's resolve crumbling. She did not need to listen to their healthy, loving relationship and sloppy make-up kisses.