Twenty three ~ I have to go now. I love you

"Wanna come shopping with me?" Nyx asked, tucking her remaining food into the brown bag. The shrinking hours before her 'time of death' killed her appetite.

Selene perked up and peered curiously at her friend as if another head had sprouted from her shoulder.

"Really? You want to go shopping?"

If only for the distraction, then yes. "Yep."

Selene squealed and dragged her off the bench and to the passenger seat of her beat-up car. They drove around the city for hours, spending exorbitant amounts of money on local, ethical wardrobe-essentials. Why lingerie was considered wardrobe essentials, Nyx would never know.

"We're sharing all this, right?" Selene questioned, throwing yet another flowy cotton dress over her arm. They were the same size, excluding Nyx's curves, but she could make do with most of their purchases. Not like I'll be wearing any of these when I'm dead.

"Yeah, totally," Nyx replied, readjusting the bags in her elbow crook. They killed five hours, and Nyx's anxiety grew as each minute ticked around Selene's watch. The only thing hiding her discomfort was the makeup she had done when they stopped at Sephora. Nyx was sure, beneath her makeup mask, she was as red as Maeze's Porsche. Sweat stuck her hair to her nape, and her pants were damp from her constant palm wiping.

Selene finally paused her frenzied spending and scrutinised her friend. Instead of asking the dreaded, 'Are you okay?' she pursed her lips and nodded. "One more shop."

Nyx rolled her eyes and groaned but was almost grateful for not being cornered by Selene's fretting. They walked into the last boutique on the street and bought a few more dresses and pants before returning to the car and heading home.

Selene parked up and killed the engine before turning to her friend.

"Here, take one of these."

Nyx stared down at the small yellow pills. "What are those?"

"Look, I've seen you on the verge of a panic attack for hours now; they're just beta-blockers. It should ease whatever is causing you so much anxiety."

The stamped drugs stared back at her, beaconing.

"Fine." She scooped them up and dry swallowed, hoping her heart would stop feeling like it would arrest before she was officially supposed to die.

"Now, will you tell me what's wrong?" Selene's honey eyes implored her friend.

With a sigh, Nyx started her beat around the bush.

"I can't tell you exactly what's going on, but I want you to know that I'm so grateful that I met you, and I would do anything to keep you and my parents safe."

Selene drew back slightly. "I'm grateful too..."

"And you are the greatest friend I have ever had, and I'm sorry I didn't tell you that more. I don't think I would have gotten through the last three years if it weren't for you..."

"Nyxie, you're scaring me."

"I'm so lucky I even had you for as long as I did."

Selene reached across the centre console and smooshed Nyx's cheeks.

"Nyx, babe. Wait. I don't know what's happening, and I appreciate everything you are saying, but you need to know that you are the best thing that ever happened to me. I don't think I would have survived the night if you didn't find me when you did and make it feel like the world would be okay. You made me realise who I could be, and I'm sorry I didn't tell you nearly enough." 

Her eyes flooded. "You are the purest light...And sometimes you're a little dark," she added with a wry smile, "but I love you either way. I love you so much and please don't ever forget. And please, please, don't do anything stupid."

Nyx swallowed, but the tears spilt regardless. She tried to tuck her head, but Selene held her in place with steady hands.

"Hey, hey, hey. I'll always be here for you, Nyxie. Always."

"I know, " Nyx sniffled. "I know."

They sat silently before Nyx finally felt the beta blockers kick in. Her heart rate slowed, and she looked at her phone. 6.20 pm. Despite her dry mouth and shaking hands, she took one last look at her friend before excusing herself.

"I have to go now. I love you, Se."

Selene swallowed audibly and bit her lower lip. "I love you too. I'll see you later, okay?"

Nyx let a small confirmation pass her lips before exiting the car and hurrying to the elevator. She didn't leave much time to say goodbye to her parents, but it was probably for the best. She couldn't bare sitting under their pitying gaze as she waited for her time to be up.

"Mum? Dad?"

"In the bedroom!"

An unexpected laugh bubbled from her lips as she stood outside the door.

"Um, are you decent?"

Two warm laughs responded. "Yes! Get in here!" She pushed open the door and saw they were folding the laundry.

Not weird or suspicious at all.

"What is it, Hunny?"

Kathryn's question shot her straight back into reality.

"Oh, yeah, um. I just wanted to tell you that I love you. I love you both so much, and I'm so grateful for everything you've done for me. Yeah."

Her parents shared a look and walked over to embrace her tightly.

"We love you too, more than life itself." Her father's words in her hair almost made her resolve crumble.

Before she fell to the floor and told them everything, she pulled back and blinked her tears away.

"I've got to go now."

"Okay, darling. See you later on."

This time, she couldn't even muster a reply; she just turned and fled to the elevator again for her final journey. When she reached the top, she saw Micah waiting by the edge of the building. It was early, but waiting longer for the inevitable wasn't an option. The beta blockers could only do so much before her heart burst from her chest.

The angel turned and flicked his gaze over Nyx's body.

"Lie down," he said.

Not even a hello? No - how are you? No - sorry, I'm going to kill you for your own good?

She lay on her back and gazed at the ombre sky as Micah knelt beside her. His moss eyes appeared unusually dark as he touched her forehead.

"This won't hurt at all. I'll see you soon."

Everything happened so fast. Nyx had no time to process or let out her fear when she felt the presence of death hover above her. Her body was paralysed as if glued to the frozen concrete.

This is all happening too fast. I'm not ready! Her eyes wouldn't stop their torrent of terrified tears as a particular Demon's face popped into her delirious mind.

Neo.

White speckles burst across her vision as her lungs stopped working. Her body twitched and seized from the lack of oxygen. 

Micah lied. The pain was unbearable. 

Help me. 

Foam frothed from her lips and choked her.

Neo. 

Finally, she plunged into darkness. 

I don't want to die.