Twenty four ~ Speak of a demon, and they shalt appear.

Every time Nyx Knight thought of him, called out for him or attempted a pitiful summoning, Neo could hear her. Each time his name would pass her lips or zip from her frantic mind, he would tune out of his hellscape and tune into her. 

Then she would ramble deluded words about hating him and all his evil doings as if she understood a thing about him. The Angel clearly meddled with her mind because nothing she said made sense. Her birth mother was the key to it all, along with Iris Jameson, the cancer patient. He thought Nyx would appreciate the overseer of purgatory himself coming to guide the woman to her place of penance, but of course, she was furious. Humans valued life above all else and did anything to prolong death. 

He sighed and looked over the texts again. Every human had their name scribed on the infernal books along with their penance. Still, he could not find hers. Nyx Knight. It made no sense as the texts were divine; everyone must pass through purgatory after death until they shed their humanity and their true selves find their home in the infernal or celestial realms. Perhaps someone was hiding her? He assumed Micah, but he wouldn't have enough power to interfere with the sacred text. Or perhaps she isn't entirely human. 

The thought sent shivers down Neos' winged spine. He still hadn't gotten used to their feathery softness ruffling against his skin. The black wings were a change from his leathery patagium that used to cling to his back. Whenever he stretched them, he thought of his mother and uncomfortable contentedness settled in his gut. No one else noticed besides Maezikeen. Her perpetual frown hardened further as she observed his new form.

"Have you organised who will be defending the portals? After the last attempt on your soul, we can't take any chances." 

Speak of a demon, and they shalt appear.

"No, Maezikeen, I haven't had a moment after the last mutiny. With Tunrida sending her dogs snooping, I've been busy elsewhere."

"Well, I can take the central portal between purgatory and Tunridas if you believe she's the biggest threat."

The issue with Maezikeen plan was that every hellscape directly portalled to purgatory. Neo wasn't sure if the other leaders were to be trusted. Lucifer was the only one who understood his position sharing angelical lineage, but he had his own interests too.

"Yes. That would be wise. But set up your most trusted generals at the other gates."

"Yes, Master." With that, Maezikeen turned and left the barren room.

Neo...

A familiar female's frantic thought shot into his consciousness. Usually, the emotion he sensed from Nyx was anger, but this time he felt her fear. His hands clenched into fists as he tuned into her.

Just when he thought she had blocked him out, another terrified thought sounded in his mind.

Help me...

He shot from his seat and created a portal from his position above his head, the location drawn from Nyx's weak summons. He cursed as the portal wavered, remembering his newest law making it almost impossible for lesser demons to enter the earth plane. They were both challenging to make and a nightmare to pass through. The pressure of a ton of water settled between his realm and the earth plane. He hoped it would stop any more unauthorised possessions or killing, but it slowed his own travel down too.

Neo... her desperation felt tangible in his chest.

"Hold on, Nyx," he growled as the portal solidified.

I don't want to die...

With one strong stroke of his wings, he shot through the submerged portal, landing on the roof with a grunt. Micah stood with his back to her, and without drawing near, Neo knew he was too late.