Epilogue

"Are you ready to go, my love?"

Nyx quickly spritzed her neck with her favourite perfume, eyeing herself in her bedroom mirror. The floor-length deep red gown with a plunging V-neckline & two thigh-high slits made her heart race. Neo hadn't seen her in it yet, and she was glad for the layers of foundation hiding her blush. Turning, she admired the lace-up back showing off her toned shoulders.

"Almost ready," she replied, slipping her feet into the matching blood-red stilettos. Her elegant updo with soft curls framing her sharp cheekbones swung elegantly as she walked to the door. Swallowing, she pushed it open and walked carefully to the living room. The slits in her dress made the fabric creep between her legs forcing her to sway her hips more than usual to keep from stepping on the thick satin. 

Selene saw her first from her lounging position on the couch, hand intertwined with Maezikeen, who decided upon a tailored suit for the occasion. Neo stood with his back to her, peering out the window into the garden. The apple tree was finally fruiting.

"Holy mother of fu-"

"Selene," Maeze chastised before raking her eyes up Nyx's body. "I know I said red wasn't your colour, but I can admit when I'm wrong." She shook her head, chuckling as Selene's eyes bulged from her head.

'So fūcking hot!' Selene mouthed, flicking her eyes to Neo.

Nyx took a steadying breath as he turned to face her. The moment his eye caught her figure, he stilled, teeth clenching, heavy breathing silence.

Swallowing, Nyx made a small spin on the spot and beamed up at his dark gaze before pouting. "Why aren't you saying anything?"

His sharp canine's appeared for a millisecond before he suppressed his smirk. "I don't think you'll want me to say what is on my mind in company."

She blushed harder as Selene cracked up laughing on the couch.

Neo winked at her before stepping forward and taking Nyx's hand. "This conference ball will be different. The leaders will want to speak with you, and it won't all be kind."

"I know," she responded, waving her hand. "Maeze debriefed me many times, and she snuck me some of your super pills."

Neo's gaze snapped to Maezes sheepish expression, which quickly turned into a scowl when she glanced at Nyx.

"Stop taking those," he admonished. " And stop giving them to her," he said to Maeze, who stood and smoothed her suit pants.

"She's persistent, and it's safer that way," Maeze grumbled, kissing Selene goodbye. "Don't' open the door for anyone. Especially that stupid neighbour."

Nyx snickered. The stupid, hot neighbour had tried on multiple occasions to make a move on Selene and Maeze's jealousy slipped out despite him not standing a chance in Hell. Literally.

Slipping her arm through Neos, she walked out the front door towards his silver Mcclaren.

"Babe, look back for a second."

Nyx turned to look at Selene when she spotted the camera in her hand, her finger hitting the shutter at superspeed. She smiled before turning back to the car and climbing inside.

The drive felt quicker this time, and Neo's warm hand clutching her thigh was a bonus. His thumb occasionally stroked her inner thigh, making her shudder each time.

"Remember," he murmured as they exited the car and entered the old building. "You belong here. Don't let anyone intimidate you."

Nyx grinned, feeling the confidence boost from being invulnerable. "Oh, I won't." Her pace increased, reaching the alcove before the winding staircase again. Again, the same group of leering men ogled her as they whispered, smoked and jeered.