Seventeen ~ Holy shit, I'm so full.

"Nyxie, come grab coffee with me," Selene yelled as they walked to work. The small coffee shop was a minute's walk from the safe path Micah had told her to follow, and she chewed her lip nervously. "I- I can wait here." It was the last day of their first week, and dread grew in Nyx's gut.

"What? No, I need you to come. Your order always confuses me. Besides, I don't want to go myself. I have a weird feeling."

Nyx's head snapped to her friend, and she frowned. "Well then, let's definitely not go over there. We can just drink a coffee from work." Even Nyx cringed at her words as Selene scoffed.

"Ew, no. It's a weird feeling, not an 'I'm gonna die' feeling. Please! I need a good coffee for once!"

With one last look at the hospital looming at the end of the street, she quickly trotted after Selene in the direction of good coffee. "Make it quick, okay?"

They darted into the small shop, and Nyx casted her eyes around as Selene ordered. "Cafe au Lait, please. The largest size you have. Nyxie?"

Nyx snapped her gaze to the young man behind the counter and smiled apologetically. "Sorry, could I please have a large chai latte with oat milk?"

The tall blonde nodded, tapping in her order and requesting payment which Selene quickly offered.

"My shout, babes. Especially after you switched shifts with me."

Nyx smiled as they moved to the corner of the room, waiting for their order. Selene suddenly drew a sharp breath. "Oh, now I know why I had a weird feeling. There's two demons, outside."

Nyx almost fainted on the spot and grabbed the nearest table for stability.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, the blonde and the brunette holding the briefcase."

Nyx turned so they wouldn't see her face and whispered. "When they call the order, will you grab it for me? I don't want them to see me."

Selene stilled her cuticle picking and regarded her friend's face. "What is going on? You think they're here for you?"

Nyx's eyes flitted to the two demons, and she winced. "I'll tell you later, okay? Just grab our drinks, and we will sneak past."

The server called their names and left the drinks on the counter. "Okay," Selene whispered, snatching up their cups. She stared over Nyx's shoulder, lightly sipping her scalding drink before nodding. "They turned the other way. Let's go."

The pair hurried back to the main road, and Nyx sighed with relief once they entered the hospital. Agatha stood waiting in the break room with a smile. "Morning, ladies. A bit of a shift today, I'm afraid. Selene, you will stay with the small children on level four, and Nyx, you have been moved to the oncology ward on six. Six patients are checked in, five are under seventeen, and one is thirty-four. I know you requested to work with the children, but two of our regular nurses have called in sick."

Selene bit her lip and peered at her pale friend but nodded. "Sounds good. Thank you, Agatha."

Nyx nodded too. "Who will I be working with?"

"Emry will be on your rotation today. But he won't be here for a few more hours. Alright ladies, see you later." Agatha left the room in haste, and Nyx sighed.

"Apart already," she said.

"Come on, babe. It'll be fine. You'll do great. You aced your cancer papers." Selene took one last swig of her coffee and threw the styrofoam in the trash. "I'll see you at lunch, Nyxie. Love you."

"Love you too, Se."

Nyx stood alone in the break room, fretting her lower lip with her teeth before she pulled herself together. It was her first time making the rounds alone in an entirely new area with new patients. I can do this. She made her way to the sixth floor, through the rooms, checking vitals and organising a few tests for the youngest patient. Seven years old with stage three leukaemia. It was almost time for a break when she reached her final patient. Instead of eating and checking her after, Nyx entered room seven with a gentle knock.