Thirteen ~ You are human, are you not?

"Pucker them. Hurry up. We don't have all day!"

Nyx quickly complied with the make-up artists' request and stared at herself in the mirror. Somehow all the layers they had applied and set didn't make her look like a clown. Instead, it only enhanced her best features.

"Alright, come now, girl. Time to put on the dress."

Selene sat at the dining table, watching the process with a mixture of awe and frustration marring her face. When Nyx was finally dressed, her friend's jaw hung slack.

"God, Nyx. You look incredible."

"Thank you," Nyx replied with a light blush.

"Seriously, you are so gorgeous. That demon won't know what hit him."

The hair and make-up artists glanced at each other uncertainly as Nyx scoffed. "Stop it, Se. Who knows, there might be angels there too."

Selene rolled her eyes and laughed as more wide-eyed glances shot across the room.

"We should be going," The lead make-up artist remarked, scooping her equipment into a large multi-purpose case.

"Thank you for this," Nyx said with a genuine smile. They did a great job.

She received half-smiles and grimaces as the group shuffled out, and a bombshell in red replaced them.

"Maeze! Holy shit, you look incredible!"

Maeze's lips curled over her sharpened incisors. The scarlet gown she wore hugged tightly to her sinewy frame and accentuated every muscle. A deep slit down her chest and up her thigh revealed her deep brown skin as she stood under the apartment lights. Her matching lip colour contrasted brilliantly with her white teeth.

"You don't look too bad yourself. Now hurry up. We have to go." She flicked one sinful glance at Selene, pursing her lips suggestively. "Nice to see you again, moonlight."

Selene blushed and turned away as Nyx looked between them confusedly. What the hell was that?

She followed and shut the door, ignoring the stunned looks of everyone they passed on the way to the car.

"Why are they all staring?" Nyx grumbled, crossing her arms across her chest. A light tugging on the diamonds made her immediately drop her guarded posture, and Maeze grunted.

"Get used to it."

The drive felt like forever, and when they reached ten-foot security guarded electric gates, Nyx started to squirm. Maeze noticed immediately. "Would you stop? You'll break your dress if you keep fidgeting like that."

Nyx flushed. "I- I, sorry. What's gonna happen tonight?"

Maeze laughed humourlessly. "Who knows. These usually end in one of two ways. Snobbish and sober, or bloody and drunk. I, for one, am hoping for the latter."

Nyx swallowed against her cotton mouth and peered out the window. Still no building in sight...

"Listen, I'll escort you in. We will meet Aidoneus, and you will be announced. You walk down some stairs and mingle. Just stay close to him, and you should be fine. It's a ball, but it's also a conference. Aidoneus has some serious business to iron out before solidifying his position."

"Aidoneus? That's Neo, right?"

Maeze's face scrunched. "Obviously. Anyway, stay close, understand? There are some guests with whom you don't want to end up alone."

Nyx stilled, her mind immediately leaping back to her attack in the alleyway. Her heart fluttered in her throat as she tried to think of other things, but the feeling of grimy fingers touching her flesh persisted. Her breathing hitched when the car suddenly stopped in front of a giant, illuminated, concrete mansion. Twisted gargoyles stood mounted on each point of the structure, and shadowy windows adorned its face in perfect symmetry.