Ten ~ Don't worry, Nyx. I won't let you fall.

The week flew by without any memorable events. The looming presence following Nyx's every move ceased, and she didn't cross paths with any 'angels' or 'demons'.

"Are you gonna see him tonight?" Selene asked, scooping a tablespoon of Nutella into her salivating mouth.

"Yeah. At his club. So it'll be full of people, and I'm sure he won't kill me."

They sat in their living room on their thread-worn, third-hand couch with an old rom-com playing quietly in the background. "Do you want me to come?" Selene asked, pulling a face that showed she very much did not want to come.

"No, Selene. I'll be fine. I might need to borrow an outfit, though." Nyx didn't want to look too sexy, but she couldn't go to a club looking like a frumpy rat.

"Why? You have plenty of good dresses."

"Yeah, but I want to look more than good." A blush crept up Nyx's cheeks, and Selene frowned.

"Sounds like you aren't taking this Demon thing seriously. Nyx, come on!"

"I am!" Nyx defended quickly. "I am, okay? I just want to look nice. Please, will you help?"

"Ugh, fine."

After a few minutes, they settled on an emerald, velvet formfitting dress with black pumps with forest green trim to match. It was fast approaching nightfall, and Nyx changed, letting Selene apply a gentle layering of make-up before she handed her another essential item. Her silver cross necklace.

"I'm not wearing that, Selene. It might get lost."

"Please, okay. You don't have to believe or anything. It just makes me feel better. I bought it for myself when I was little, so if you lose it, it's not dire, okay. Please?"

She held up the dainty chain and cross- no bigger than a thumbnail and fastened it around Nyx's neck. The instant it touched her skin, she felt a tingling burning sensation mixed with a sense of calm.

"What's this made of? I feel like I'm reacting to the metal."

Selene clucked her tongue and looked beneath the chain. "There's nothing there. Just go now, alright? I don't want you to be late for your Demon date. Uber's almost here too."

Nyx rolled her eyes with a smile and embraced her friend. "I'll see you later."

"You better."

The ride to Demonology in the dark went quickly; before she knew it, she was standing in front of the building staring at the red neon sign.

"Miss Knight?" The same bouncer from the last week called out to her, ignoring the growing line around the block.

"Yes?" She wandered closer, tentatively reaching inside her small clutch for her I.D.

"That won't be necessary. Master is waiting by the bar."

A shudder trailed down her spine. That's the second person to call him Master. Is he some kind of enslaver?

Her thought got pushed down as she walked into the thumping darkness. This time the space felt smaller, more suffocating, and she almost buckled when she pushed past the curtain. The bodies gyrating to the strobing lights sickened her instantly, and she walked the perimeter of the room looking for Neo.  Jostled by many dancing bodies, Nyx kept her hands carefully tucked beneath her arms. One stray finger brushed against a sweaty body, and she saw a blackened, rotting soul. "Oh, God..." When her eyes went to find the soul's owner, her gaze dropped to their shadow and shook, seeing dozens of shadowy outlines seeping away from their owners against the light of the strobing lasers. That's weird. Kinda like what Selene said. But, Demons aren't actually real. Right?