Forty one ~ I thought you were smart

"Hey, Nurse, what are you doing?" Iris questioned from Neo's office door as Nyx rifled through his desk.

"I'm looking for some weird pill things Maeze gave me."

Iris crossed her arms. "Didn't take you for a druggie."

"Iris! You aren't being helpful right now, so go away."

The other woman sighed before stalking into the empty room.

Nyx grunted as she lifted more weird papers. "It's the only way he'll let me come with him to Tunrida's Hel. They make me invulnerable."

"I thought you were already immortal."

Nyx gave her a pointed look. "That isn't the same thing." If she couldn't get hurt or die, Neo might consider her an asset to the Demon army and let her come along to free Emry.

Iris rolled her eyes and leaned against the wall as the small green pills appeared in the back of his bottom drawer.

"Yes! I found them!" Pocketing them, she put everything back the way it was and ushered Iris from the room, quickly smoothing down her dishevelled clothes and hair.

Iris clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth. "You better hurry up. Neo's preparing the Demons as we speak."

"What?" Nyx pulled her hair back in a quick braid and slid on her combat boots that sat outside their bedroom door. She thought she had more time, but Neo worked fast. When he told her he planned to storm Hel, she didn't realise he meant right now. Maeze's curved blades sat comfortably against her hip, and she inhaled sharply.

"Shit."

"What are you even doing when you get there?"

She grunted as she shrugged on her thick kevlar jacket. "I haven't thought that far ahead yet, Iris. Probably just save Emry and get out of there."

"You think Tunrida's just gonna let you all go? It's gonna be a slaughter." Iris pulled a face and stared at Nyx's frowning face.

"Why are you being so negative right now," Nyx hissed.

"Realistic," she hissed right back.

Nyx stormed towards the main stairwell, stopping for a quick bite before she ended up fighting on an empty stomach. He won't go without saying goodbye. She felt sure of that fact as she chowed down on some cold leftovers.

When she turned to approach the stairs, Iris blocked her path, raising her hands placatingly. "Hear me out?"

Nyx crossed her arms and nodded. "Out with it then."

"Why can't you just kill Tunrida and get a better ruler who isn't a total fuckwīt?"

The whir of the electrical appliances flooded Nyx's ears, and she frowned, thinking Iris' words over. It's not a bad idea. But what about Micah?

"I'll have to get through a stupidly powerful fallen angel to even get to her," she said, pushing past the woman's wispy frame.

"Just think about it, Nyx," she called after. "Be careful!"

Nyx spun and ran over to her for a quick hug before drawing a deep breath. "I will," she promised.

Running down the stairs, she followed the sound of thundering footsteps and inhuman growls. A'ren and Ruz met her at the bottom of the stairs and whined as she darted past.

We come too?

"Stay here, babies. I don't want you getting hurt!" she yelled behind her before pushing through the doors.