Nineteen ~ Delivering shock

Red. Copper. Orange. Fire. Flashes dance around freckled eyelids. The wind hollers her name. My name. Who am I?

Nyx woke with a frown as her unusual and gibberish dreams left her mind spinning. After Emry's disclosure about being a Demon scout for Tunrida, she had many strange dreams. Nightmares. Visitations?

She rose, changed into her scrubs, headed for the door with Selene for the first time in days, and froze with her mouth agape. Selene's blonde hair was intricately braided, and her lashes curled delicately, fluttering over rouge cheeks and crowned with shimmery blue eyeshadow. "Um, Selene. Care to explain?" Nyx questioned as they entered the elevator.

Her responding look was of pure innocence. "What?" Her lashes fluttered again.

"Why the hell do you look so pretty today?"

Selene scoffed and tried to look offended, scrunching her nose and pouting. "Are you saying I don't always look pretty?"

Nyx responded by rolling her eyes when Selene chuckled. "I have this patient in for surgery. So freaking hot!"

"Selene!"

"What? I'm not gonna do anything. I just want to look my best." Both women locked eyes with pure shock, dancing across their features before they almost doubled over laughing.

"That is so stupid," Nyx choked out. "But somehow, so you!"

Selene clutched her stomach and dabbed her finger along her waterline. "Don't make me cry-laugh. I don't want to ruin my mascara!"

After a few stomach-cramping laughs, Nyx sighed. Her dreams floated back into memory, as did her conversation with Emry. She paused, almost getting knocked over by an angry pedestrian. She muttered an apology and stared confusedly at Selene. Because of Emry. A demon.

"Nyx, what are you doing? Hurry up. We're going to be late." Selene stood half-turned, beaconing her friend.

Nyx rushed forward and grabbed Selene's arms, pulling her away from the flow of people on the footpath. "Selene. The new nurses."

"Yeah? What about them?"

"Anything about them seem off?"

"Huh? No. Besides being really cold and weird, no. Why did they do something?"

Nyx pulled a face, and she gnawed her lower lip. Her eyes darted across the path, and she leaned into Selene, whispering in her ear. "They're demons, Selene."

"What? No, they aren't, that's-"

Selene paused, looking at Nyx's earnest expression and frowned. "But, but, I can't see them? Their eyes are normal."She looked at her hands and brushed her fingers self-consciously across her hair. "Did I lose my sight?"

"Don't panic. I could just ask him for you." The hospital loomed in front of them as they continued walking before getting reprimanded for tardiness.

Selene wrung her hands, and her teeth gnawed her lower lip. "I want to come with you. Maybe I wasn't being as observant."

Nyx nodded and linked her arm with Selenes to stop her fidgeting as they clocked in. They stored their bags in the staff room, and Dakota sat eating a granola bar, her black hair pulled into a severe bun.

"Morning," Nyx mustered before flicking her eyes to Selene. Her wide eyes turned to Nyx, and she nodded, her mouth forming a sad frown.

"Um, Dakota. Is Emry working today?"

Dakota's eyes lasered holes in Nyx's face from beneath her thin brows as she nodded once. "Oncology."

"Thanks. Let's go, Se." She tugged Selene behind her as they rode the elevator to level 6. Once there, she checked her notes folder, then Emry's before his level voice rained on both women.