Part 2

It's been a good month since they've come back. James refuses to sleep in the same room as his friends and now sleeps in a separate quarter in one of the unused towers.

It's comfy, a loft style dorm thats smaller than an apartment but if you wanted it could easily hold two or three people.

He hasn't really gone to classes either, mostly had his work delivered.

He's taking his medicine and the episodes are still frequent but not as violent, thankfully.

He gets weekly check ins with Pomfrey twice and he swears she's developed a distaste for Lupin but he can't be sure.

And the strangest thing has happened. Severus stopped being a snob.

Well not completely, he still makes snide remarks but not so much its actually hurtful. It feels like they're just old friends teasing each other.

" Mr.Potter. Will you be joining us for breakfast today?" Dumbledore stood at his threshold.

James was still in bed, back turned to the door and you could see where the werewolf had bitten into the top of his vertebrae.

And amongst other places along his torso.

" i don't want to sit with them." He said simply and Albus hummed.

" you may sit anywhere you like Mr.Potter. We couldn't stop Lily Evans, i dont see a reason why we can stop you." He said calmly.

" James... i don't like seeing my favorite student in bed like this. At least a little juice?" McGonagall said.

She never had any children of her own but she always felt like a maternal figure. A harsh one but a good one still.

James thought for a moment and finally turned.

" fine." He said and stared up at the ceiling.

" if you want to come back here after breakfast its okay too. We will have someone come up with your school work."

" okay."

" Also Professor Slughorn and Professor Flitwick said you've been struggling in their classes a bit. They have assigned tutors to you, you will probably meet them here tonight." McGonagall added and James finally sat up.

" fine. I'll try to be a normal person today if that's what you want." He said and took the blanket off himself.

His bed was high up and on a platform, private. Under the platform was a couch and fireplace, a coffee table and rug underneath.

There was a small desk by the windows and one of those floating candles along the ceiling but only at night.

" James. That's not what we mean. I just want you to take care of yourself please." Minerva said and James rubbed his face.

They always said these types of things. We support you, we're here for you, you're not broken.

But he is. He feels it deep inside. There isn't a single shred of him left that wasn't torn to pieces on that god awful day.

" nevermind. I'm not going down for breakfast."

" Potter-"

" you can't make me. Now please leave." He said and went back into his bed, his last request muffled by his thick duvet.

It was the beginning of December and no matter how long the fire ran for, James just could never get warm.

He doesn't touch his food, he stopped exercising and he feels frail and weak.

It pisses him off.

He used to be so great, how could he let an incident like that defeat him like this? On muggle medicine, needs them just to sleep and not wake up injured.

He feels like a shell. All he does is stay in bed and do homework. There's no fun in life anymore.

———————————————————————————

James woke up at 7 pm. The light outside was gone and he realized his lunch and dinner were sitting untouched, still warm with a charm.

He woke up to knocking and stood up to open the door but immediately fell back.

He felt too weak.

Instead he just spelled the lock open and told them to come in.

Through the crack a fiery redhead stuck her head in.

And behind her a gloomy looking slytherin stood.

" Oh good you're awake. McGonagall came here a little while ago, said you were asleep." She said and walked in, setting a pile of parchment and books onto the coffee table.

On top of that she was also holding a basket, and behind her Severus stood looking on the verge of passing out himself.

" what is that? Never mind. Why are you here?" James asked and Lily's smile grew wider.

" we're your tutors. And this is food because the house elves said they delivered your food already so we packed up our dinners to eat with you." She said and tugged a sleepy looking Severus along.

They went up the ladder, setting the basket on the small space next to James' ginormous bed. It was more of a nest than a bed at this point.

" We brought extra deserts and food if you like." Severus finally spoke up and Lily nodded.

" mhm. If you wanna get ready for the new quidditch season you gotta bulk up. Seekers don't have it that easy y'know." She said and James sighed.

" right. Quidditch."

Lily sensed James' uneasiness and just slid the food that was left for James closer.

" come on. Lets talk and eat first, i think you could use a little conversation." She said and picked up the chicken soup left for James.

" Should we feed you or can you eat yourself?" Lily asked and handed him the spoon.

" I'm not a child."

" you are. We all are, now eat." She argued and held up the bowl.

James took the spoon and tried to eat but his hands were a little shaky. He still felt weak, feeling frustrated over the fact he could barely feed himself.

" im sorry, i dont..." james apologized when he realized he had started to tear up.

It sucked. It fucking sucked. How the fuck did he get here...

" its okay. We'll help you. Wont we Severus?" Lily asked and James looked at his mortal nemesis sitting in the corner of his bed.

He looked just as sleepy and tired, leaning against the small railing of the platform.

" of course." He said and even though it was soft, it was genuine.

" Look the real reason why me and Severus are here isn't just to be your tutors. We volunteered. We don't know what happened but we can tell something is up." She said and put the bowl down finally.

" you can? Me disapearing for a good month wasn't confirmation enough?" James laughed but it was with pity.

He still had tears in his eyes.

" Potter i know we dont see eye to eye but if you ever need to talk i'll listen." Severus said and tilted his head to the side to look at him.

James chuckled a little from the fact he looked borderline asleep.

" ok. Thank you." He said and wiped a tear.

Lily was smiling at him and held up the bowl again.

" ok. Then how about we try to finish this bowl hm?"