Part 5

Severus was watching worriedly. He had no reason for the crease between his eyebrows and the pit in his stomach but it was there nonetheless.

James was doing amazing like always. He was just as fast as the last season and he won two out of three practice games. It looked like he finally had his head in the game.

It wasn't until halfway through the fourth practice match where things went wrong.

Severus saw how James started to panic when he couldn't find the snitch anywhere, he was circling the arena like normal but it was taking longer than usual.

Then the Ravenclaw seeker found it and went zooming in the other direction. James—caught off guard— followed and must've not been paying attention cuz his broom went berserk and he crashed into the wall.

" Potter!" Frank called out as he smacked a bludger back at an opponent.

" Im fine!" James yelled as he held onto his head, a noticeable bump there.

Severus was on the edge of his seat, hands up to his face.

James must've finally caught a glimpse of the snitch cuz he was back on it's tail. He raced past everyone, a specifically small looking chaser almost falling off his broom.

Poor kid looked like a paper weight.

" Potter be careful!" Frank yelled at him, noticing his very obvious increase in speed.

He's never crashed before, let alone fall for a seeker's detour trick.

" Will Potter get the snitch?" The commentator said and the speakers roared it out.

Severus found the commentary unnecessary for a practice game but it was practice for them too i guess.

" He reaches out aaaaaaand...... HE CATCHES! 150 POINTS TO GRYFFINDOR!"

The hoard of Gryffindor girls behind him cheered and Severus finally calmed down.

When James slowed down and stopped by his team, they were all congratulating him.

" Ugh what happened to Potter, he used to be so muscular." Severus heard a voice say and his ears perked up.

" Yeah. Now he's all bones." Another girl said and Severus willed himself to look forward at James and not them.

" Did you see that? God that was exhilarating." James said as he flew towards him again.

He tossed the snitch to Severus and it buzzed around him for a few seconds before falling into his hand.

" That was impressive. How's your head?" Severus asked and instinctively reached out to assess the bump.

" A little sore but its fine. So....how did i do? Are you impressed?" James leaned one elbow against the railing, fishing for compliments.

And of course Severus took the bait.

" Yes very cool."

" See! I've got my mojo back, i forgot how good this feels...." James drifted off and his eyes were hyper fixated on something.

" What is it?" Severus asked and looked back, seeing Remus lupin standing there with Lily.

" Oh James! i finished early, figured I'd catch you. Oh Sev, good you're here. I knew you'd come." Lily said as she stood next to Severus.

Remus took the side next to Lily and was looking at James like he wanted to apologize.

James looked on the verge of tears.

" Hey Prongs." Remus said but James didn't say anything back.

Instead it felt like his whole world had gone black. He couldn't focus on anything but Remus' face and he didn't even notice Severus calling out his name.

——
He heard growling next to his ear before pain shot through his neck. He let out a weak cry and felt bones break under the tight grip. His friends teeth sunk into his neck and he could only hope Remus wakes up soon.
——

" Potter? POTTER!" Severus yelled and he reached out but it was too late.

James had started to slip off his broom and didn't even realize it. He started to fall and thankfully grabbed onto the shaft before he missed it.

" FRANK!" Lily yelled and the captains head whipped around to see James dangling off his broom.

" Jesus christ, Potter hold on!" He said and flew over from the other side of the arena.

James didn't have the same upper body strength he used to have and he was slipping much faster than he usually would have.

He felt Frank get a hold of his torso and lift him up onto his broom, keeping a hand on his back to make sure he was balanced.

" Are you okay?" Severus asked and grabbed his shoulders.

" Im fine."

" you're breathing heavy."

" Yeah i just.....um i dont know." James whispered and Lily was right next to him making sure he didn't have any injuries.

" What's this bump?" She asked and lightly touched it.

" He crashed into the wall. The other seeker led him on a wild goose chase and he was flying too fast to stop." Severus explained.

His hand wandered up a bit and felt something under his fingertips.

" What's that?" Severus asked and panic ran through James again.

" Nothing." He gulped.

" Prongs are you ok-?"

" I'm fine." James cut Remus off and didn't look in his direction but Severus did.

Remus looked so broken when James snapped at him. What the hell was going on?

" I'm gonna go change." James announced and Lily held him back a little.

" Dinner?" She asked and James paused before nodding.

" Yeah. See you guys back there." He said and flew off slowly, still balancing himself.

Severus had taken a glimpse at his hands and they were white around the knuckles because of how tight he was holding onto the broom. They were slightly trembling too, so were his shoulders.

" You're a good friend Sev." Lily said and pat his back.

Severus just nodded and didn't take his eyes off James until he disappeared into the changing room.

Then he looked out into the field again and caught the eye of Sirius Black, a death glare sending a chill down his spine.

Even 20 meters away he could feel it.

Seriously, what the hell is going on?