Part 13

Severus slept in the same bed as James that night. Even though Severus insisted the floor is okay, James wouldn't have it.

After spending the entire day together, Mrs. Potter making them snacks any chance she gets and Mr. Potter showing Severus some exotic potions ingredients he had stashed, they finally fell asleep.

It was hard for Severus to sleep. The bed was too soft, the sheets smelled like James so much it overwhelmed his senses.

It was so intense he couldn't think of anything but James and it didn't help he was sleeping just a few centimeters away from him.

His brain was rattled by everything that's happened. Drinking, going to a party and doing something stupid he doesn't even remember.

He doesn't like how he can't remember what he did but it was taking such a toll on their friendship. James avoiding him, asking him to leave his dorm  and not being able to be as close.

The fact Sirius Black was back as best friend #1 and how James slept as far away from him as possible. How he didn't feel as comfortable with Severus as he once did.

It bothered him. It really fucking bothered him.

" James?" Severus shook his arm lightly but he didn't move.

Severus sighed and sat up, rubbing his eyes and feeling the arm that propped him up sink under him.

The bed is too soft.

He quietly snuck out of the room, closing the door behind him and walking down the hall to Lily. It was 12 am but he knows Lily never sleeps early.

" Lily?" He knocked on the door and he heard shuffling.

" Severus?" She asked and he opened the door, seeing her sitting there with a book she borrowed from the Potter's library.

" What are you doing here?" She asked and lifted her duvet, signaling him to get in.

They did this as children. Whenever Lily's parents were away he would stay over to escape his dad and they got under the covers together.

Lily comforted him, listened to him. Provided warmth and a home he didn't have back at his house.

" I'm gonna sleep in your room." He said quietly as he got in.

Lily put her book down when Severus laid his head against her shoulder, instantly feeling something off about her best friend.

" What happened?"

" Nothing."

" Whats wrong?" She asked and Severus stayed quiet, looking down to fidget with a loose thread.

" The bed is too soft." He admitted and Lily hummed.

His bed at home was thin, hard compared to everyone elses. His father wouldn't get him a new one.

" If this one is too soft as well we can sleep on the floor. I'll lay the covers down and make if soft enough to not hurt your back. We can sleep like a proper sleepover." She offered, gesturing with her hands the way she'd lay the comforter down.

She had a smile on her face to cheer him up and it worked. He found himself smiling without even trying.

" Thank you. But it's okay. I dont want you to sleep on the floor for my sake."

" I'd be happy to sleep on the dirt if it made you comfortable." She said and Severus chuckled.

" Why would we ever do that?"

" I dont know. Soil smells nice- y'know what. I'm trying to be nice can't you just accept it?" She said and Severus threw his head back in quiet laughter.