PROLOGUE

┌───────  •✦• ───────┐

Adrienne "Adri" Lumière was an enigma, a witch and above all a queen.

She recently became the queen of the witch faction when her mother; Keyara was murdered by dirty witch hunters that caused nothing but trouble.

Well, trouble followed Adri everywhere, whether it was due to the colour of her skin, her gender or the hybrid she was being courted by.

She just couldn't avoid it.

She belonged to one of the oldest families in the world. She and her half-brother; Hadeon Lumière were the prime entertainers of the great city of New Orleans.

Dancing and singing to keep a smile on those depressed faces.

Their father; Erebus, had trouble keeping his children in check. He often let them run wild, but he usually was the one to have to clean up their messes.

The Lumière's were known for being what was known as Grey Witches. In other words, they were allowed to curse, hex or kill when the situation deemed it fit. Doing what was right for their family and their people, not just doing what was allowed by the ancestors.

They were often drawn to darker spirits or objects, but they knew when to keep themselves from being corrupted...well sometimes.

Ther Lumière coven or Équilibre were often judged for allowing darker souls to join. But they wanted quality as well as loyalty wherever they could find it.

Adri spoke out against injustices or unfair circumstances, as did many other supernaturals that inhabited the city.

Wolves, Vampires and even more.

But since the Great War started more tragedies seemed to take place, which is why the council of the four was introduced. To seek out the issues that they all faced, to communicate and not to argue, but fights were bound to happen.

It was a cruel world and most importantly, it was the old south. Where injustice mixed in imperfectly with the new cultural hotspot of the country.

The Lumière's had a seat at the table along with another great family, the Mikaelsons.

Adri often conversed with Elijah during meetings, Rebekah during outings and Niklaus... Well, their relationship was something else entirely.

After all a black woman and a white man courting? Ghastly.

Some said that after Niklaus broke his curse after draining the blood of a doppelgänger a few years prior meant that he was untouchable. A king in his own right.

They were right of course.

But how can a King rule without his Queen?

He simply can't.

But you'll just have to see the troubles his Queen encounters and the demons she will face...

In this Dark Twisted Fantasy.

└───────  •✦• ───────┘

a/n:

before the story starts, I will like to mention that it is set during the 1910s in New Orleans.
It Incorporates more of 20s fashion as I find 1910s fashion dull and restricting. I will also include some 1920s slang.

Many legalisations of the era in this book will be altered to fit the storylines. Whether it's interracial dating, marriage or people of colour's civil rights.

Klaus has broken the hybrid curse in this, I'll go into more detail about that in the book. Elena was born in the 1800s so he killed her after Katherine directed him to mystic falls. (She's still on the run btw) Klaus can't make hybrids unfortunately but there are other problems he will face in this story.

there will be at least 16 OCs in this story, I've more than Lumière's so if you get lost just let me know.  They won't be featured in every chapter but these characters will be the ancestors of some canon characters, whether they are witches, wolves or humans.

Adrienne, her family and the characters that I make up are owned by me and me only.

but there will be a few mentions and winks to Marie lavaux from ahs coven...just because.  (Yes I know she's also a historical figure)

I planned this story back in Feb 2022 and started writing it late May.

Enjoying it so far?

darlingmurdock for the new cover. pls check out their work, they're amazing <333

 pls check out their work, they're amazing <333