𝘅𝗶𝘅. 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝗺𝗶𝗻𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻

Long ass chapter... sorry not sorry. don't skim and pls comment because i put a lot of effort into this.

WARNINGS: BLOOD, ADDICTION, MENTIONS OF TRAUMA, CHILD ABUSE AND ABUSE

┌─────── •✦• ───────┐

Monday, May 15th 1918

CHILDREN will always remember.

Whether it be who shows up, who cares or even nurtures them into the people they are today.

Vivid dreams turn to memories and memories will always haunt the growing mind.

Needless to say, many things haunt the Lumière heirs and their parents are one of them. For that, it has been over a month since the return of their father and silence had embraced them all. He'd not given an excuse or an explanation for where he disappeared to.

You are dead to me, those words knawed at Hadeon's mind like a parasite, as well as the vicious images of his father hitting him until he received answers about his deceased wife.

He would never forget and he didn't think he could ever forgive the man who claimed to nurture and guide him through the mirky and uncaring world, just for Erebus to choose violence when it suited him.

To hell with him, Hadeon decided. Avoiding him was his only option. Spending more time at the compound than in his room. He was scared, but over time that fear gradually turned into nothing. The constant numbness prevented him from feeling anything at all.

Adrienne wouldn't let them stay alone in a room together. The harmful image of her father attacking her brother roared through her vision, stopping her from leaving, even though she had prior engagements. Ideas of what could've happened to her brother, if she were not in the room were like ice shards driving to her brain.

Perhaps some people were not cut out to be parents...

Or maybe it was just that some people should never exist in the first place.

─────── •✦• ───────

Residing in the quaint living room of the Lumière estate, Adrienne and Hadeon were sitting in opposite chairs as the roaring fire burned within the walls of the fireplace.

The oldest spend his time reading the newspaper, whilst nursing a glass of whiskey, it was not as much as he wished to consume, but as he was in the presence of his sister, he did not want to scare her as he did a couple of weeks ago.

Adrienne occasionally looked at her brother, wondering if he would lash out or continue to stay mute. She knew he still dabbled in other substances to aid his grieving process, which ultimately worried her because he was doing it in secret and she didn't know how to stop him. Telling Marie would potentially provoke the end of his life and informing their witches could cause more harm than good.

So until the time was right, it would be another secret she had to hold.

"A siphon wants to join the coven, why?" he suddenly spoke up, coming to terms with a new guest in their city, who had written to them, seeking aid.

"Why not?"'

"So you don't think it's too soon?" he asked, referring to the Kali-shaped hole in their coven.

Adrienne stiffened at the memory, "Of course I do, but we've been weakened and I don't want that anymore. I don't like it."

He scoffed, "We're still stronger than the average French quarter witch."