𝘅𝘃𝗶. 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗼𝘀 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗲 𝗮𝗴𝗮𝗶𝗻

all you readers who skim... you guys are sly!

WARNINGS: GRIEF AND THE MENTION OF DEATH AND SUBSTANCE ABUSE

┌─────── •✦• ───────┐

Sunday, March 26th, 1918

AN agent of chaos was still at large.

The carnage they had caused catalyzed the eldest Lumière to fall into a deep depression. He would consume any substance he could get his hands on until he couldn't remember his own name.

Drowning in his sorrows wasn't enough, especially when each drop of booze sept through his system, all he could see was her.

His Mira.

She was his escape from reality and now he needed an escape from her.

His guilt for not saving her eventually numbed, leaving him to feel nothing and everything at once.

His daily visits from his sister became unbearable and he stopped taking note of the Mikaelons, who tried to force him out of the house or whenever his friends made him eat.

He didn't want their kindness, because he felt like he didn't deserve it.

Hadeon knew what he was becoming... his father. Fortunately, he wasn't blinded by devotion or delusion, as he and his sister would say. Confined to his room and barely leaving only to acknowledge that she would not be returning home was the harsh truth.

He slept alongside the clothes that she wore, clutching the jewellery she cherished and crying whenever he saw the box that contained the ring he never got to present to her.

And now she was in a coffin, readied to rest in peace for all of eternity...without him.

It was pathetic, he thought he was a pathetic bastard and she paid the price for the sins that he committed.

His karma.

And it was truly a bitch.

─────── •✦• ───────

Adrienne stood in front of her brother, fixing his tie and attempting to mend his heart.

It was Mira's funeral today.

All expenses had been paid for and the people who were in attendance were more than expected, nevertheless, everyone was waiting for Hadeon to descend the stairs so they could finally start.

Clarence's brother was a priest and he was doing the service.

Mira used to be a devout Christian and only visited the church out of respect for her late mother, but when she came to New Orleans, her beliefs slowly faded, nevertheless, Hadeon knew she would want her funeral to imitate her mother's.

Despite his prior convictions about religion, he would carry out her wishes.

"Deon," Adrienne's voice sounded quite frail, because of the weak she spent crying for her fallen friend.

She was still having nightmares because of how she found her brother. Bound and bloodied. He looked so vulnerable... so weak. It scared her.

"Yes?" his voice was just as hoarse as hers and he could barely maintain eye contact with her.

Luckily he stopped drinking for the day, but he craved anything that will put his mind at ease. Unfortunately, he could not find something that powerful, though, that wouldn't stop him from looking.