𝗶𝗶. 𝗺𝗲𝗲𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗿

WARNINGS: MENTIONS OF VIOLENCE

┌─────── •✦• ───────┐

Friday, October 21st 1917

Each faction leader sat around the round rustic table on the second floor of the church. A dim light hung low, illuminating each stoic face.

Adrienne Lumière, Clarence O'Connell, Elijah Mikaeson and William Kenner.

Klaus Mikaelson didn't bother to show his face during council meetings, only when it suited him, according to his brother, he had prior engagements today that couldn't be rescheduled.

"To be perfectly candid, the ration portions in the city are causing a stir amongst my people," Clarence stressed, placing his hands on the table.

Food shortages were sadly becoming a prominent issue throughout the country, many feared that the population would die from hunger...well most of the population.

Adrienne tutted at the blonde human, "All people Clarence, all people, you understand that the witches eat too." she crossed her legs and leaned back in her chair, all eyes were suddenly on her.

William snapped his head towards her with a vexed expression, "what, the souls of the dammed or the innocent?" anger laced his tone.

The wolves were not a fan of witches, they never were. They believed that witches were most wicked and cruel, especially since they were the beings that created the supposed 'the sun and the moon curse'. That they were the self-proclaimed keepers of balance, but they just tore the world apart for power, that's what the wolves perceived them as.

Elijah went to object but she was quick to respond, "Depends on our mood or our tempers, but as we're speaking of tempers, how are the wolves dealing with this?" her brows raised in ridicule.

"We struggle, as does anyone."

Clarence raised slowly raised his hand, "May I suggest that the workers at The Euphoria lower their prices on baked goods."

The Euphoria, also known as the best bakery in the city, is run by two Èquilbre witches. Specialising in everything from, beignets, croissants and doughnuts.

The establishment was often seen as one of the few neutral and non-violent places around, that and The Saints. Although some people refrained from entering either, considering they were owned and run by African Americans, who just happened to be witches.

Adrienne sighed at his suggestion, "I may be good friends with Clementine and Valarie, they are part of my coven but that doesn't me I can get them to lower their prices."

"You are their queen, are you not?" William scoffed.

"I doubt Ms Lumière rules with an iron fist Mr Kenner," Elijah ejected, finding his attitude unbearable.

Adrienne inhaled sharply, "I believe in running a democracy, not a dictatorship," she said staring explicitly at the werewolf, "They control their own prices, not me," she rolled her shoulders back, "I have a question."

"It's a free country, shoot," William said through clenched teeth.

Adrienne refrained from commenting on his words. America is not the land of the free, it's the land of the privileged and entitled. "William, you're a handyman, why can't you lower the price of your fees," she then nodded toward the O'Connell man, "Clarence you're a tailor, why can't you lower your prices?"

"Because I have to make money somehow." The tailor responded, sounding defeated.

Her eyes narrowed onto the two mortal men, "But why do my witches have to cater to you and not the other way round, or at least equal?" She was met with silence. "All I'm saying is, we all should make sacrifices, especially with the rations that we receive in the city."