𝘃𝗶𝗶𝗶. 𝗯𝗮𝘁𝘁𝗹𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗶𝘁𝗰𝗵𝗲𝘀

WARNINGS: BLOOD, VIOLENCE, RACISM, TRAUMA, PTSD

a/n: keep commenting and voting guys <3

┌─────── •✦• ───────┐

Wednesday, December 21st, 1917:

KLAUS reached for Adrienne, his fingertips were inches away from her.  He watched as she slipped further into the fire that threatened to engulf her in its inferno.

Klaus tried to scream and let out a feral growl as his eyes fueled with anger, even flickering gold but no sound came out.

Nothing could come out.

He tried running and yelling but all his efforts were futile. He drifted further and further away from his sweetheart.

He couldn't save her, he felt powerless, like everything was mocking his entire being.

The burning fire glowed, spitting its ash all around, attacking his flesh when reached out his hand to get Adrienne.

Tears flowed down his face when she fell into the flames. Her cries grew louder as she screamed for him and him only.

Her last words were his name.

....The name of a man who couldn't save her.

Klaus woke up panting as he tried steadying his breathing. Sweat dripped from his face and stuck to his body like a second layer of skin.

He continued gasping for air, but his mind did not waver from his surreal nightmare.

Horrific images kept flashing past his eyes, causing him to blink away the distortion, he needed to differentiate the nightmare from reality. Adrienne's demise imprinted in his mind and made it impossible to steady the beating of his own heart.

Klaus reached for the clock on his bedside; the time showed that it was five in the morning. But time was merely a weak concept compared to Adrienne's life.

The very life that could be in danger.

He rushed out of his bed and picked up various items of clothing, stumbling to get his shoes, shirt and coat.

"Rebekah." He yelled erratically, "Elijah," he banged on their doors, "Kol."

He kept banging until they all emerged from their rooms, half-dressed, blinking back the sleep that threatened to take over.

"Must you wake us up? I need my beauty sleep." Rebekah sighed and rubbed her eyes.

"Somethings wrong." he stressed pacing up and down the landing. "something's wrong."

Kol groaned, "Well perhaps if you could spit it out-"

"Something's wrong and I need you to help me." Klaus raised his voice, making them stiffen, "It's Adrienne."

Rebekah was the first to shut her door, grabbing her clothes and untying her curlers.

Elijah flashed in and out of his room in seconds.

Leaving Kol, who begrudgingly followed their actions, whilst Klaus mumbled under his breath, blinking harshly, trying to remove the images from his nightmares out of his mind.

A feeling of dread gripped his subconscious and he couldn't yank it off.

His bottom lip quivered at the thought of her being hurt. Which meant that he couldn't protect her. The big bad wolf, couldn't protect someone he is completely in love with.